Lake Akan

Hokkaido Travel Blog

Second day in Japan, and today proved that the trip will be full of natural wonders which would wow-ed me.
We went to  Shi sheng Chuan or something like that, to see wild swans fly in from Siberia for the winter. It was cold. Though the sun was big and bright and sunny, but it is a totally different sun whom I always see in Singapore. I think it was the coldest day, and yet the sunniest day at the same time.
The scenery was beautiful. There was a mountain range nearby and the lake, which was filled with mandarin ducks and swans. There is a feeding post and we just took a small bagful of grains to feed them.
Next, we went to a market.. Forgot the place. The market was full of seafood. The biggest crab, the biggest sotong, biggest fish etc.
.and there is not wet market smell like the one we have in Singapore.
The thing about the famous Japanese crab, I love it, but dont expect it to taste like the chilli crab here. I think the species of this crab is such that the meat will not be as tender and juicy as sri lankan crab, but still sweet and fresh. I still dont get the trick of eating it, because the meat dont come out in lump like the fatter sri lankan crab, rather they sort of integrate, so I lost a lot of meat, trying to dig them out..haha...anyway, food in Japan is as simple as those in Korea. No wonder the girls have fair skins...
The last place we went was the best because we went to see the gus, a bird which we can only see in Jurong bird park (if they have them in the first placE).
did some research and turns out most of this specie of birds are endangered.
These birds are regarded as deity birds in my culture. I remember I once saw a tv show, and it showed a lengendary person, who kept one of this bird as pet. So this lengendary person was put to death by some bad guys in the show, and the bird somehow killed itself to follow its master. From then on, I thought such a bird is just like pheonix, a lengendary bird which does not exist, but turns out they are still here, and very endangered. Gained alot of knowledge about this wildlife from my trip here. We watched the wild birds feed in the protected enclosure and waited until 4pm when the birds all started to fly back to their wild homeland to take the most stunning photos I have ever took.
nice sunset
All of us got ready for the birds to start flying home together. We got tricked by one group of them who flew the other direction. But the noise and commotion that the birds and humans caused are enough to leave a memorable experience to me.
We went in to see the professional photographers' photos. some are photos of the birds doing a courting dance, and some of the birds fighting of eagle. it was stunning becasue these birds are totally wild.
Lake Akan is where we spent our night. But before we can return to our rooms to rest, we made a slippery walk to the Ainu village. Ainu people are the natives to the area and along the way to the village, there are many shops selling sovenirs handmade by the lcoals. The long, cold and slippery walk was enough to make me think twice about how "sad" and "deprived" we are because we dont have snow in Singapore. Thats the reason also why I think soo many people dont hang out late at night at the more rural part of the country in winter. I spotted a brown fox-look-alike dog. Not sure what breed, but it definitely looked more comfortable then me in the winter night with its thick brown coat.

nice sunset
i think that is a meteor.
i think that is a meteor.
the cranes flying back
the cranes flying back
it was 3degrees when we enter, and…
it was 3degrees when we enter, an…
Lake Akan. The ice cannot melt.
Lake Akan. The ice cannot melt.
Hokkaido