AsiaJapanSapporo

Sapporo

Sapporo Travel Blog

I love the melon pudding
After a stop in Bangkok, we reached Kansai Airport. A while later, we reached Chitose Airport. The journey starts.
It was my first time to Japan, and my first time is given to Hokkaido. As my mother had been to Tyoko and the nearby cities, Hokkaido seem to be the perfect place to spend Christmas. Pre-departure tips from my friends who had been there always include "bring lots of warm clothing. It is very cold". My warmest clothing record is 3 sets of long john, 2 sweater, 1 winter jacket and 2 sets of pants. That was when I went Korea in winter, but Hokkaido is much north than Korea is, so I brought all the warm clothing which I can find over.
When we reached Hokkaido, it was already afternoon, so after we had lunch, we went to Ikeda for the wine castle.
Sunset at 4pm
The castle just adds on to the majesty of the place, but to me, it is just another factory. Perhaps it is due to the time when we got there, which makes the place look quiet and unlively. In winter, the sun sets at 4pm, so when we reached the castle, it was just a place for warm our cameras and get used to the early sunset in Japan.
As we havent had a good sleep on the plane the previous night, we were very grateful to arrive at the resort early. Dinner was buffet, and as there is a very nice hotspring there, my sister and me took a dip before we went for dinner.
Recalling how embarrassing it was to see naked women running around at the hot spring in Korea, I initially had second thoughts about going for a bath there. But the guide told us that Shi Shen (in chinese, dont know how to spell in Jap the name of the place) has the best spring for female skin.
traditional Japanese living room
It contains some mineral, I think it is copper, because the water is reddish brown in colour, so since vanity is norm for woman, I went for my first dip.
It wasnt bad, considering I dont even see naked woman in the water itself, because it was soo hot, that the whole place is filled with steam. It was refreshing. Once my body gets adjusted to the temperature of the water, I forgot all the tiredness. I can feel my feet expand as all the soreness from my body exit from my soles. It was contenting.
Then my sis and me went to the outdoor spring. The temperature outside was about 10 degrees below zero. It was nothing because our body temperature has risen and it is only a short walk in the cold, once we immerse ourselves in the water, there is only one word to describe the experience heavenly.
The moonrise
Imagine your body is hot and warm and you just to to sleep there, while you are breathing in cold air, fresh air from outside. Pity it wasnt snowing, else everything would be perfect for a nice relaxation session.
As we dont do hot spring regularly, we just went for dinner after half and hour. Dinner was fine, but I tried my first sashimi. I didnt dare to eat sashimi in Singapore, because I was scared the meat is not as fresh, and I have heard nasty stories first hand of people getting infection from eating sashimi. So I dont really dare to take the risk in Singapore, esp when the weather is so hot.
Anyway, the real surprise came after dinner, because our room faces a nice mountain scene, and the moon was rising when we got back from dinner. I think I spotted Mars, because of the non-twinkling red light near moon. I spend some time, freezing my hand, trying to take a picture of moon-rise (dont have tripod).
Mushrooms!