A red squirrel

Mealsgate Travel Blog

Finally! This one has attitude too!

We have moved on to the Lake District.  Andrew's 'evening before' research has come up with a figure eight plan to see the area and we set off on the northern loop.  The roads are narrow and steep.  Some gradients have a 25% advisory signs on the hills.  Beautiful moors, lakes and mountains, vilages, plenty of sheep and walkers.  I hang on to the steering wheel and pray that we won't meet any traffic coming the opposite way and wish I had one of the fire trucks from my old Brigade with 4 wheel drive to slow me on the downward hills.  I spot a handpainted sign saying "Squirrels crossing, tek care" and think that they must mean red ones as nobody in the UK seems to have much care for the grey ones.  Several miles on I suddenly see up ahead a red squirrel jump down on to the road then back up into the hedge.

The Lake District
  Slowing down to get a better glimpse, the squirrel runs up a fence post and cheekily poses for me to take a photo!  I am delighted and another must see is ticked off my list!

Next day is Friday and we stop in Keswick as we noticed a chinese massage clinic and Andrew wants to have his back treated.  The lady at the reception listens to his description of the pain and it's location and tells him that they will be able to cure him with some acupuncture.  His jaw drops a little as he had the massage theory in his head but bravely goes forth.  I return to put another pay ticket on the van for parking and pause in the village square to observe the two minutes silence for the victims of London's terrorist attack in 2005.

sweeping slopes in slate mountains
  At the end of his session some final tweaking of the needles in the back of his hands and he is feeling 90% better.  He is a true convert to acupuncture.  I have found some local postcards of the squirrel signs and another one that says "Lambs ont road, tek care"

We cover the southern part of the figure eight plan and find we have time to move on towards North Wales.  Feeling so much better Andrew takes over the driving and as it gets late I am randomly sending him up into the hills as we cross over the border looking for camping.  We eventually find one near Corwen which has a large resident section and a high field at the back of the site for touring campers.  It is cold but we set up under the trees and have dinner.  I chat to the dogs next to us and later their owner invites us over to sit in their annexe where they have a heater going.  The tell us the the annual Llangollen Eistedford is in full swing and nearby and we decide to spend tomorrow there and camp a second night here.

this is his best side