Childhood beaches revisited.

Haverfordwest Travel Blog

Cilgerran Castle

Leaving Llangollen we go to nearby Harlech Castle but we are way too early for opening time so we view it from outside.  Castell Cilgerran is then next one on our trip through Wales and we find a parking place in the village's narrow street.  As we are walking to it I find a baby bird sitting on the pavement and put it up on a high wall to keep it out of direct line of cat's dinner.  King Edward II seems to have had a hand in building most of these castles we are beginning to learn.  This one had three towers originally but one has fallen apart.

I have an early lunch at Aberystwyth when I can't go past a butcher's shop where they have a joint of  cooked hot, roast pork in the window which I get served in a bread roll with stuffing, apple sauce and crackling!  Mmm mmmm.

Castell Henllys
   Looking around the counters I see that there are black boards hanging over the counter with information chalked up on it as to where this weeks lamb, beef, pork or saltmarsh lamb etc comes from. For example it might be Mrs Reece's from Appletree Farm!

As we are headed to St David's we spot from the road a round timber house with a thatched roof away on a hill and our curiosity makes us turn around to investigate.  It is a reconstruction of a castle called Castel Henllys.  The project shows a wattle and daub building under construction so that one can understand how the buildings were made.  School parties are encouraged to add their efforts to the construction.  As we begin the trek up the hill to the village a group of woad painted primary school run yelling war cries into the learning room, encouraged by a couple of presenters and their teachers.

Inside one of the structures
  In the various huts fires burn in the centre and tools, baskets and possessions of the ancients are left for one to imagine what it would have been like living there. A fascinating look at history and well worth the entrance fee.

Stopping at St David's Catherdral an Aussie couple give us their day parking ticket as they are leaving.  After we have looked at the cathedral the person parked next to our van on seeing the Australian flag on ours apologises for the weather and wishes us a great stay in their country!  It has rained on and off all day and we are now looking for a camping site.  Drive into the sea front of pretty Solva and on to Newgale beach near Haverfordwest.  Drive along this long sandy beach backed up by a pebble bank.

These amazing thatched structures
  There is a camp site across the road in a field and Wood Farm lies above it.  Here I lived with my parents and little sister at the age of five first in a few rooms of the farm house and later in a caravan.  The farm has been passed on to the neice of the old couple we lived with and she remembers our surname and invites us up to have a look around the farm if we like!  We thank them but it is quite cold and windy so we are intent on setting up our tent and getting a pot of stew going to warm us up.  It was a dairy farm and I was allowed to "help" the farmer herd the cows in for milking in the afternoon after school from time to time.  Mum raised a bunch of goslings for sale at Christmas time but they grew into the most frightening bunch of geese a five year old could expect to meet at the gate when getting off the school bus.  As they chased me and pecked me on the bottom, a large stick was left at the gate for me to swing and defend myself until I made it safely home!

Solva at low tide