Canterbury Bells

Canterbury Travel Blog

Canterbury cathedral

Destination today is the cathedral at Canterbury to see what the pilgrims came to see centuries ago.  Andrew has a bad back after trying to shove the suitcases under our bed in London while simultaneously lifting the bed!  The cathedral town is very ancient and the cathedral is quite spectacular.  A service begins in a corner of the cathedral to celebrate 80 years of the daily turning of the page!   We get a bit of rain here and the bedding has to have a whirl in the dryer in the caravan park.

Spend another day here then drive westward along the coast.

one of the windows
  Look at plenty of typical seaside towns including Brighton but the weather is quite wild and waves pound the beach front.  I place a bet of £5 with a bookmaker that Australia will win the World Cup at 80-1.  The bookmaker thinks that I am totally nuts but takes my money with a smile!  Find a lovely camp ground on a small lake with fishing and bird watching set up and Andrew asks to join a group of campers watching the last half of the game with England playing.  They are glued to the screen and wave him into the circle of macho fooball supporters without taking their eyes off the game!  All is quiet in the park as nervous fans watch a scoreless game.  In the dying minutes the lake echos with cheers and I guess England have scored once then they do it a second time!  Our cooking gas runs out and a very chatty guy has just arrived to set up his tent next to us.  Before I know it he whisks Andrew away with the bottle in search of a refill point.  Ages later they return having tried several places but think they have a lead to the right place.  The guy, Andy, plugs in his GPS into our van, sets it up then tells me to follow the voice and screen while he sets up his tent.  I am driving as Andrew's back is very sore.  We too fail to get gas as it is the wrong brand, so we come back and have olives, biscuits and cheese for dinner and continue our conversation with the swimming pool mechanic guy next to us!.

Rainy in the streets of Canterbury