Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

This was without doubt my favourite place in the whole of our travels. There was so much to do and it wasnt over run by tourists like most other places. We did so much here and we ended up staying an extra couple of nights than what we'd planned. It was a long travel to get here but well worth it. I think it was about 20 hours in total...a ferry from Ko Phi Phi to Krabi and a coach to Bangkok then an unbelievably slow train from there to Chiang Mai.

We had an elephant ride, we went white water rafting, we visited a monkey school, and a hill tribe called the long necks, named this for the rings they have around there necks which lengthens them, like on the photographs. But most memorable was the Tiger Kingdom we visited. We got to stroke and cuddle large adult tigers and have the smaller ones on our knees. The night market here is apparently the best in Thailand and it was enormous with everything you can think of to buy. Everyone probably already knows this but haggle all the time, you can always get what you want for at least half the price of their first offer, and they enjoy the haggling too.

I'd recommend a visit to the Golden Triangle if you get the chance. We got to visit Laos for an hour or so and we saw Burma from the boat we were on.

15,163 km (9,422 miles) traveled