Stingray City

Grand Cayman Travel Blog

I had been to Grand Cayman in the past but was scared of things bigger than me in the ocean, so I thought when I moved to the Island I would ease myself into going to Stingray City, but starting off snorkling, then diving, then Stingray City, but it happened in the opposite order!  My first weekend here, I was invited on a MINX extravaganza (a great social comittee down here) and was on my way!  I had talked to a few friends before I went, but nothing prepared me as I entered the sandbar out in the middle of the ocean and saw these amazing and strange creatures, all starting to head for our small boat!  There were about 40 of them and they were all black in the water, gliding smoothly towards our boat, as they know boats=food!  The females are actually the biggest ones, and they come right up to the surface of the water!  It took me a long time to get into the water, and luckily I had a guy who talked me through it before I got in the water to feed them a handful of squid.  I was very jumpy and nervous, mostly scared of stepping on one under the sand, but they let you know to drag your feet under the sand rather than actually walking in the water.  They come quickly and are gentle, but it is quite intimidating when you look down and all you see is black around you in the ocean!  They actually nudge you and rub up against you like a cat wanting food and were very kind, gentle creatures, but the size of them was definitely intimidating.  When I went it was pouring rain, so I would definitely like to try it out again, when my family or friends can get in the ocean with me!  I would highly recommend this experience, even if you dont get off of the boat!

sylviandavid says:
What a great write up! So unusual! thanks for sharing this. Sylvia
Posted on: Nov 28, 2009
yheleen says:
what a name - Stingray City :)
Posted on: Jun 16, 2008
KAIBO BEACH - I had been to Grand Cayman on the cruise ships in the past before moving here, and I had heard of Rum Point (RP) with it's hammocks and relaxing unique beach with gorgeous trees, but I had never heard of Kaibo which is only about 3 minutes drive from RP!  I had seen photos of huge starfish stacked in a pile in my friend's office at work, so I asked her where she had found so many in one place!  I ended up going there shortly afterwards, and discovered some amazing red, and orange colourful HUGE star fish!  They were so beautiful and right along the shore's edge and they are so gentle, you can hold them in your hand!  They have tons of little pods that help them to move and they tickle your hand as they gently feel out the area (probably to try and figure out how they got out of the ocean so quickly)!  It was a truely wonderful experience, and I look forward to taking my friends and family there again in the future!
sylviandavid says:
Starfish.... They are so neat!
Posted on: Nov 28, 2009