Finally arrived

Lima Travel Blog

It took three weeks of the biggest highs and lows of my life before we finally arrived. I thought it would be simple--just buy a cheap plane ticket from and then go! The actual purchase of my ticket was the only easy thing about it! Buying a ticket from the Spain-based travel company is no problem...if, and you only find out until AFTER the purchase, you have an address in Spain. My husband and I were in Uruguay, taking a break from classes and just hanging out for a few a country several thousand miles away. After fighting and arguing with an operater from Edreams over Skype, we realised they had our money and no way to send us the paper ticket. Thankfully, some of my friends from Uruguay had moved to Barcelona to start a new life. So after days of trying to get ahold of them, they agreed to receive the ticket and then promptly send the ticket to us.
Una plaza

About three days before we were supposed to leave, we finally got the tickets in the mail! Mind you, we also had to buy tickets by boat to get to Buenos Aires, which is where we were supposed to fly from. In 50 hours of travel time, we took a bus from Montevideo to Colonia, Uruguay, and then a boat from Colonia to Buenos Aires, Argentina. We shared a taxi with an Australian doctor to the airport, caught the plane, landed in Santiago, Chile--we ordered our luggage to not be transfered to the next plane due to the fact our luggage had been lost already once that trip, but then we weren't allowed to enter the country!! After 12 hours of waiting around in the Chilean airport in the middle of the night listening to latin music videos, we were reconnected with our luggage and on our way to Lima, Peru. PHEW!

Lima on the coast on Peru, very close to the equator yet year-round is about only 80 degrees, much different than say, a Southeast Asian country. Thank God. Having only a few hours to see the city before we had to catch a 20-hour bus to Cuzco, I immediately set out to visit one of the ONLY Starbucks in South America. My aunt went online and asked other travellers for where they might be in Lima, but she was called a horrible American and a beast for wanting to know. :( The thing I love MOST about travelling is eating the food from the country--and yes, that includes the "American" style stuff, too! I'll eat guinea pig and cheeseburgers, pig intestine and tall lattes.

The last 20 hours of the 50 of travelling were on the way to Cuzco.
glennisnz says:
You had fun and games getting there didn't yo? Maybe you can be forgiven for needing Star Bucks as a special treat to help you cope, but I believe when in Rome Etc. The food of the country must be edible or or the locals would be wasting away!
Hope you enjoyed your holiday trip and met lots of locals.
Posted on: Jan 29, 2008