kayaking las isletas

Granada Travel Blog

isletas on lake nicaragua
Today we woke up early to eat and meet our guide for our kayaking trip. After a short taxi ride we arrived at the lake and hopped into the kayaks. I was amazed at the size of the lake. It almost looks like an ocean. The water is dirty and full of debris. Today was the first time i was able to practice filming with my waterproof camera case.  I think kayaking is the way to go if you want to see any animals. It is quiet and peaceful. You do have to be careful though. Stay close to the shore as tourist boats come out of nowhere and travel faster than they probably should.

Even though we left a little late... around 830 we still saw tons of beautiful birds and plants. I can only imagine how much more wildlife we would see earlier in the morning. We say a vulcher tree that had at least 15 vulchers hopping and flying around.
kayaks
They were also eating some sort of a large fish. We continued and saw a pet spider monkey named lucy who was at a house and was sadly chained to a tree.

I saw a turtle and it seemed rather large for only living in a lake.  We continued paddling and eventually came to monkey island. A small isleta with 4 spider monkeys. Our guide plucked a mango off a tree on the way to give to them. Mangos grow everywhere.  There is a pole for powerlines on the small monkey island. One of the monkeys was missing most of its tail. Our guide told us the monkey tried to get off the island and lost its tail from the power lines. Kinda of sad but the monkeys seem happy.

We continued to paddle for almost four hours and saw many great things. Needless to say when we were done I was tired and slightly burnt. The sun is very intense.

Overall so far the kayak tour has been my best experience and will be a wonderful memory. Tomorrow we are going to volcan masaya for a guided hike in the afternoon. We are supposed to be able to walk in old lava tubes and then we stop for food. Do a little shopping in masaya and  then continue to see lava at night. I am hoping to capture some images of glowing lava.

I am having the time of my life and wish i could share it with all of my friends.
oropendula... crazy nests
oropendula... crazy nests
mott mott
mott mott
chistopher and noramah sharing a f…
chistopher and noramah sharing a …
Granada