Visiting America's oldest town.

Saint Augustine Travel Blog

New Years Eve after a few drinks.

Each year I make time to vist St. Augustine. One of my favorite things to do there is to find a nice spot on the waters edge and watch the blue water sailboats set and weigh anchor. This small city is a great place for boats to rest while sailing up or down the East coast of the United States.  Last year while I was sailing from Charleston to Key West we passed close enough to see the Bridge of Lions that are getting a major makeover. Sadly we were pressed for time to get to Race Week and did not stop.

For the past two years I heve spent New Years Eve in St. Augustine bringing in the new year.  NYE 2006 my girlfriend at the time and I stayed at the hostel right in the heart of the old town and only a block from the water.  The hostel is named "The Pirate Haus" and is owned and ran by a cool guy named Conrad. Don't be suprised to see Conrad all decked out in Pirate gear!  This last year I chose to go all out and stayed at the worlds smallest Hilton. Turns out the Hilton was only about 30 feet from the hostel and way more expensive.

My usual routine is to hit the beach and get in some v-ball, drive by the lighthouse, walk around the old town, go grab some cold beer at the sailor bars and listen to some good sea stories. On Sunday the Conch House has live reggae and a good crowd. I have been there by boat and by car. If you get the chance to go by boat, TAKE IT!!!!

New Years Eve after a few drinks.
View from the light house.
View from the light house.
The Pirate House Hostel.