Latacunga Latacunga

Latacunga Travel Blog

¡Latacunga Latacunga!

This is what the guy who hangs off the bus yells as we take off from Quito. We pick up a bunch of people along the 2 hour ride, along with the many people who come on the bus for a couple minutes to try to sell ice cream and fresh potato chips.  Pretty crazy place.

So, Phil´s friend John has been living in Lata for the last two years basically teaching English, and it was really great to meet up with him. He showed us around, and cooked us an amazing vegetarian soup dinner with fresh loaf of bread. yum..still one of my favorite meals so far. He and his Ecuadorian girlfriend, Toty, were great company.

The second day in town we took off early in the morning for Quilotoa, a crater lake a couple hours away. We thought we´d take the bus with John, but his friend Fabiela and her mom and dad gave us a ride instead. We got a typical Ecuadorian breakfast with them first: coffee, fresh juice, chicken and rice! it was very tasty, despite seeming more like a lunch to me. The ride to Lake Quilotoa was great (although cramped)...beautiful scenery, and John told us all about Ecuadorian politics. I´ll try to write more about that later, since it´s important that people realize how much the US is trying to screw over everyone all the time. The Lake itself is a huge crater, and beautiful blue-green colored. It´s salt water and sulphurous. That´s about all I know aobut it. We hiked to the bottom quickly and took a spin on the water with a dude charging wayyyy too much money, but it was fun. The hike back up was completely exhausting, and I took a burro for the last little bit because the altitude was really getting to me. It´s incredible because at home I can run 4 or so miles and feel ok, but going even 10 steps would leave me out of breath.

A great time was had by all and we even saw a rainbow (which I somehow knew the word for in Spanish, amazingly, ¨arco de iris¨) on the way back to Latacunga.

Off to Baños the next day...

travelman727 says:
Ecuador is such an amazing country! You two have a great time, and try tasting the national dish...Guinea Pig.
Posted on: Jul 16, 2006