Boone Hall Plantation, Oyster Roast

Mt Pleasant Travel Blog

Fresh steamed oysters in a bucket.

The weather was perfect for this years oyster roast.  I drove the 4.5 hour trip early Saturday morning to spend some time in Charleston, SC the day before. We woke up Sunday to a brisk morning with jacket in hand and very hungry from a night out on the town. Thinking that we had plenty of time to grab some breakfast, we stopped at an IHOP for a plate of bacon and eggs. The two tables of screamimg kids that were strategicly placed around the restaurant could not dampen the mood of the day. Soon we were to be surrounded by thousands of people at the worlds largest oyster roast.

Oysters are a big thing to the low counrty and the Carolina's.  Boone Hall Plantation that is in Mt Pleasant hosts an annual oyster roast.

Cold beer and hot oysters.
  This year they trucked in over 65,000 pounds of fresh oysters. Other food was available, so was cold draft beer, wine, soda and of coarse penuts. It's fun to watch someone eat an oyster for the first time.  If you have never have one, I think the texture is a mix between eggplant and bubble gum. First it gets steamed. If you're lucky the shell opens just enough to get a knife in and open it the rest of the way. If you are not lucky then you have to work for it. After it is open you scoop it out, dip it in sauce and down the hatch it goes! Followed by some cold beer.

The temperature warmed up until I was down to a t-shirt and jeans.  The bands started playing and everyone was having a good time. Boone Hall is a working plantation. Once known for cotton and pecans, now mostly growing peaches, strawberrys, tomatoes and pumpkins. Tours are given to the public for a small fee. The tours show how the Gallah people once worked on the plantation as slaves. When entering the plantation I noticed the huge Live Oak Trees covered in Spanish Moss.  These big trees were planted in the mid 1700's and have battled many storms and hurricanes.

The crowd started getting too big, it was time to go before the port-a-johns overflowed!

viciousv04 says:
Eggplant and bubblegum?? Wow..creative tongue! ;)
I will have to close my eyes next time and try this..
Posted on: Feb 07, 2008
viciousv04 says:
YUMMY..I wish I was there!! I taste them now..:)))))))
Posted on: Jan 29, 2008
viciousv04 says:
OH MY GOD!! This is the way to my heart!! :))))
Posted on: Jan 29, 2008
Oyster on a half shell.
Oyster on a half shell.
Before the crowd got big.
Before the crowd got big.
From shell to mouth.