All it takes is a plane ticket

Cusco Travel Blog

It took a little convincing, but I finally was able to talk one of my buddies into going down south.  I didn't really have a complete plan yet, as to what the heck we were going to do when we got there, but I knew Peru was calling me.  It started out with just a pair of tickets, once my friend was convinced, I sat him down and we ordered the tix.  I figured at least this way there would be no turning back. Now all I needed was a tentative plan.  After a little bit of online browsing, I organized us a week of Spanish lessons at the San Blas school in Cusco and found us a host family.

Not having a thorough (ok, I admit, barely any) understanding of the Spanish language I figured a little catching up might be a smart idea.

Also I figured that the studying time in the high altitudes would provide a little help when it came time to acclimating to the almost 2 mile high elevations of the Andees.  After a brief stay in Lima we hopped on a plane and made our way over the dramatic scenery until finally touching down in the ancient capital.  Miraculously, our host family was at the airport after only minimal coorespondence with the school, and we were set from there on out.  The family was a blast to stay with and I spent many a late evening practicing my newly aquired Spanish skills on the very patient and hospitable host mother.  Mornings were spent studying hard in the classroom, and during the afternoons we were free to explore and figure out what it was we were going to do for the remaining 3 weeks of our trip.

One eventful afternoon we went on a quest. The quest was to find the best Cuy that the Cusco area had to offer.  If you're not familiar with the Peruvian delicacy, then you're in for a treat.  Peruvians have a historical appetite for Cuy, or as we know it, Guinea Pig.  Due to the unusual nature of this dish, for us at least, we wanted to make sure we had it as authentic as you can get.  After checking a few sources, including some rather FAST speaking cab drivers, we eventually narrowed down that Tipon was the place to dine.

In Cusco, you've have a heard time falling down one of its steep streets withought crushing a handful of tourists. In Tipon however, you'd have a hard time finding anyone that remotely resembles a tourist, and if you did, you'd probably think they were lost. That's about how we felt when we rolled off the commuter bus that stopped on the "Main" street. Fortunately it didn't take us long to discover that we had come to the right spot.  The dining experience was a memorable one to say the least and I hate to say it, but it sure tastes like chicken, and I think I'll be sticking with chicken from now on.

photo by: Vlindeke