Norway

Norway Travel Blog

Fjaerland - Sognefjord

Norway with its 83000 kilometres (!) of coastline has to be the most scenic place in Europe. OK well I might be biased because of my Norwegian origins, but I think no one would argue about the breathtaking beauty and the majesty of the Norwegian fjords.

It does rain a lot in this part of the world, but when the sun appears, these glacier-sculptured landscapes are a delight to the eyes.

My very first trip to Norway was with my parents and grandparents. It was kind of a pilgrimage back to the roots, to visit the ancestors’ farm and some relatives living in the region of Bergen. Unfortunately I do not speak the language but most Scandinavians speak English anyway; the only Norwegian culture I had been exposed to was Edward Grieg’s music , one of my favorite composers, and the excellent Geitost cheese! (I had the “chance” to try Gammelost on one of the visits but I won’t comment on this one ;-).

Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock)

Another trip was during the winter Olympics in Lillehammer in 1994. Winters in the Alps are pretty mild but that was the real thing, with lots of snow, temperatures well below minus 20, but dry and with beautiful blue skies which makes it more bearable.  It was quite an experience being able to attend such a wonderful event.

The most stunning place of all was the Lofoten Islands all the way up North of the Arctic Polar Circle and of Bodo.  That’s where I saw my first aurora borealis while staying in the Youth Hostel in Stamsund. What a show! When it took place all the hostel guests were outside admiring the sky, and when it ended everyone clapped in admiration and awe!

alitoronto says:
Wonderful!
baokeke says:
Woo, it's beautiful!
WorldXplorer says:
Ha ha! You must go to Norway Byiang, it is just spectacular! :)
Hardanger Fjord