Scottish Highlands

Mallaig Travel Blog

Of the entire UK, I think the West Coast Scottish Highlands is my favorite destination. It is known for its humid climate... but the frequent climate changes within a single day constitute a big part of its charm and, for those interested in photography, provide excellent light conditions.
Relaxing with friends and listening to live Celtic music in a pub after a long cycle ride in the rain fighting against strong wind gusts, is a wonderful experience!

I enjoyed so much the coast from the Isle of Mull to the Isle of Skye that I returned several times, backpacking and staying in Youth Hostels at first, and for the most recent trips, driving around with mates living in Scotland. The Youth Hostels were impressive, sometimes nothing less than castles (haunted?) located in the most beautiful settings.

The area around Garramore and Morar, close to Mallaig has breathtaking scenery, with beautiful white sand beaches.

It's a pity, the water is so cold...

The Island of Iona with its rich history had a big impact on Western Europe in the 6th century. The Iona Abbey is a reconstruction of a 12th century Benedictine abbey that was destroyed on multiple occasions. Scottish kings and chiefs, but also kings from Ireland, Norway and France are buried there!
"Iona" also happens to be one of my favorite bands, named after this island...

The Isle of Sky has the most stunning landscapes, the Cuillin Ridge, the Quiraing Needle on the Trotternish Peninsula... and I could go on and on, there is so much to discover in the Highlands!

Oh and it doesn't keep raining in this part of the world! One of my visits was during Easter time, and we had an entire week of sunny weather. I even got sun burnt in Scotland!

These photos are slides which I scanned.

Shouldn't have writen this blog. I now want to go back...

WorldXplorer says:
Oh, and on my last trip I flew to Glasgow...From there it is pretty close and there are trains that go all the way up to Mallaig, through Fort William.
Posted on: Jul 26, 2008
WorldXplorer says:
Hehe! It's a fantastic place Byiang! Just bring along a good rain jacket! ;-)
Posted on: Jul 26, 2008
PrissyT says:
I, for one, thank you for writing about it. I have always wanted to go to the Highlands and now looking at these pictures, I definately need to go. I love the history in all of the United Kingdom, but Scotland has always interested me more then England. Thank you!
Posted on: Apr 24, 2008