Riobamba

Riobamba Travel Blog

I got into Riobamba about 4:30, (Hostal Ƒuka something, 3 bucks) and headed to the bull fighting stadium. Saw a group of people standing around watching something...I wandered over hoping for a cock fight, but only locals playing volleyball as others bet. Got to the bull ring and couldn`t find a way in, so kept going to a big park a couple blocks further. Watched a little soccer, and headed to an open stadium with people doing shot put, hurdles, javelin, etc and found a rock climbing wall. Talked to the instructor for a while who told me he`d probably be there the next morning too, climbed and headed to get some food at the locals food stands on the street...was tempted to try the guatita (cow stomach) but decided on churrasco instead.

July 8th: I woke up and headed for the stadium to rock climb and run, but ran into Hugo, the rock clibing instructor, told me he was going to go climbing on some real rocks in the countryside with a couple friends. We took a bus to the edge of town, walked about 40 mins through the countryside, met up with a couple other people and started bouldering...or at least I attempted to...they were all better than me, including some of the girls, all with their own shoes and chalk bags. We stayed an hour or so, then la policia came. The two Ecuadorian cops were friends of Hugo who had called him. Their boss was out of town and they didnt have anything to do, but wanted to rock climb later in the day, so came out to give us a ride back to town in the back of their truck. We got back to "el muro", climbed a little more and repelled from about 20 meters up. Took off to check out of my hostal, hit the markets, ate the typical puffed corn with dried pork (pic above). Walked around the market to take pics of the other delicacies...sorry vegitarians, not much for ya here. Later, I went to watch Germany tear up Portugal to take 3rd place in the World Cup, then headed to the bus station to go through Ambato to BaƱos.

Riobamba