Quito

Quito Travel Blog

nuff said

Bus ride to Quito, mitad del mundo (middle of the world), blowdart practice, pizza, Papaya Net, Mariscal Sucre (where the action is in Quito...an area also known as gringolandia).

Quito has in beteen 1.5 and 2 million people, is set in between 2 mountain ridges,therefore long and thin.  The newer area is where all the bigger businesses are, the hotels, clubs etc.  Yet to make it to the old town.

The next day I walked around trying to find a hammoc for my mom to take back to the states, found a hostal (el Taxo..6 bucks) and went in search of a jungle tour.  Frustrating day for many reasons.  Drinking with others at the hostal, meeting the 2 hottest Ecuadorians I`ve seen yet.

Some Ecuadorian art

Let see, Saturday I went to Quito`s main theatre where they were doing some sort of gradution ceremony for Quitos schools.  I snuck into a kindergarden performance where they were doing a singing, acting performance.  Then went to the cultural center next door, was able to sweet talk the guard into letting me into some of the display areas eventhough it was closed, because i had my cool press pass from the internship i did in Santiago...first time I`ve used it, telling him I`m a reporter, doing a story, etc.  Also went to another museum next door, outlining the evolution of Ecudorian people, from caveman days to the Inca empire, the Spanish influenced religious art and modern, eclectic art.  Wandered around Parque Elegido, a nice place to go on the weekends with all the artisan and art sellers ( a lot of Guayasmin rip-offs,  a famous Ecuadorian painter) random soccer games, food, and weird ecuadorian games.

Advocate of the pedestrian street on Sunday
  Theres one called "Cocos" played with metal balls the size of golf balls, can be played with up to 8 people or so and the objective is somewhat a cross between pool and i dont know what else, but is played on a field about 100 feet by 40 feet...interesting game.  I think I know how everything works, but took talking to a good amount of people to understnd how to win.  Ended at a sports bar with good pizza and a friendly Ecuadorian-whos lived in Canada for a long time-owner.

Sunday, along Amazonas, the main street through the central part of the gringo area, they convert it to a pedestrian only area, so hunreds of bikers flock to the street to enjoy this leisurely stroll....I also saw an advocate to keep this street pedestrian only (pic)

Some Ecuadorian art
Advocate of the pedestrian street …
Advocate of the pedestrian street…
Quito