Arrival in Cuenca

Cuenca Travel Blog

I got into Guayaquil, Ecuador about 7 P.M. then took a taxi to the bus station and got on a 8 P.M. bus to Cuenca. I arrived in Cuenca at 11:30, found a hostal (El Cafecito, 5 bucks) and went to find some food. I asked around, most people told me there was no luck except snacks, then a security guard told me to go to a light shining in a construction area next to a church. Called out and a lady came to the barred window. Not many options... I had pollo seco (rice, beans, garbanzos, and chicken), a traditional Ecuadorian dish and it was pretty dam good.
I walked around for a half hour, but Cuenca`s nightlife is dead on Wednesdays.

July 6th: The next morning, I walked around town for too long. I saw all the markets (fruits, vegetables, household material goods, tapestries, animals...mainly chickens and guinea pigs, but dogs, cats and rabbits also).  It was kinda weird seeing people looking for guinea pigs, holding them up, checkin out how big they are, how the meat might taste...etc. I tried to be inconspicuous while taking pictures, but as I`m a gringo, I stand out. I also saw what could be the oldest women I`ve ever seen. I went to a free museum with different art (stained metals, digital art, abstract and contemporary). I talked to an older woman selling fruit about her life in Cuenca and how her family supports themselves. She told me how her son (17) is working hard and expecting to go to college but who knows how he`ll cover the high costs of a $300 initial payment of $50 monthly thereafter for the Catholic university in Cuenca....also, theres no minimum wage here.

Ivisited the most highly respected Panama hat makers (one a 75 year old man who can`t speak but is highly energetic) and the other I guess is actually the company thats respected but a tipo chevre (aka cool guy) who showed us around the shop which is part factory, part museum of how they make the hats, part lookout point on part of Cuenca and part restaurant/bar. We all took shots of some type of alcohol similar to vodka, I forget whats its made of.

photo by: Ils1976