Just returned.

Seattle Travel Blog

Just returned from a trip to Asia.  It was fantastic and exceeded my expectations.  Food was great in Hong Kong and getting around was so convenient.  Almost everyone there speaks a little bit of English so it wasn't as intimidating to talk to people and ask questions.  My friend and I got to see the biggest sitting Buddha in the world and we got our fortunes told at Wong Tai Sin.  It was great.  There is also a delicious vegetarian restaurant at the Po Lin Temple that you can enjoy by just adding a little bit extra money to your ticket price.  I reccommend purchasing the deluxe meal.  I do have to warn you that the bus ride up to the temple is a little bit treacherous, but well worth the ride.  If you ever decide to stop by Hong Kong you might want to check out the Hong Kong Tourist Board Website.  They offer many suggestions for sightseeing and many free activities such as traditional cake making or tai chi.   As for Japan, everyone there is so polite.  Well...except for a few old men who feel they must press up against you, but other than that everything was great.  The food was awesome.  Everywhere you go there were food stands and restaurants.  It was my heaven.  My friend and I were lucky enough to find pretty decent accomodations for no more than $40 USD a night per person.  If you ever stop by Kyoto, I would definitely reccommend K's House Kyoto.  The people that work there are great.  They all have a great sense of humour and the rooms and shared baths were very clean.  The people that chose to lodge there were also very friendly.  The hostel also sports a nice lounging and dining area along with a fully equipped kitchen.  It was a wonderful atmosphere.  If you don't care about price, for about $360 USD, there is this wonderful Ryokan called Oishiya which sits along the water in Ise.  Included in the price they will serve you a traditional Japanese dinner (12 courses) and a very generous Japanese Breakfast.  The service was great there and you get to wonder around the hotel wearing a yukata and take a nice long dip in their hot baths.  You will have choice of private or public.  One of the public ones over looks the ocean and one of the private ones has a door that opens out on the the roof where you can sit and admire the ocean view.  Near by is also a shrine dedicated to the Married Rocks and just a bus ride away is Edo Land, where you can see samurai and ninja shows and enjoy games.  Ise is a beautiful place.  I would definitely like to go again.
photo by: diisha392