Day 1: Tetouan

Tetouan Travel Blog

I was staying in Malaga for a month to learn Spanish, when we discovered an organisation that fixes up Morocco trips. I had never been in Morocco and some of my new friends either. So we decided to do it, it only costed 170 euros everything included: hotel, transport, food, drinks etc. So of we went!

We left on a Friday afternoon in Malaga with a bus filled with mostly American students, also in Spain to learn Spanish. We went to Alg├ęciras and took the ferry to Cueta. Cueta is in Africa but is still Spanish territory, so in Cueta we passed the border and entered Morocco. The bus took us to Tetouan we're we went straight to the hotel, because it was already dark outside.

We were welcomed by to Moroccan guys producing some Arabic music and a friendly, funny guy which served us Moroccan tea with loads of sugar and some sweets.

The first morning we went to the center of Tetouan which is a very modern city and seemed to have everything you could ask for. They even have their own Royal Palace! After that, our Moroccan guide showed us the Medina which is basically the old town center. This Medina is on the World Heritage List of the UNESCO. Entering the old center, you could really feel that you were in the north of Africa: all the different smells of spices, you could see chicken being slaughtered and Berbers walking around in their traditional outfit and people performing their craftmanship. As you can see, one of us volunteered to put on some clothing, the Moroccan women had a great laugh and so did we.

Our guide, Mustafa, told us about the traditional Moroccan clothing, architecture and lifestyle. And of course he took us to a carpet/rug seller. He went on and on about the quality of his carpets and in the mean time an other guy was showing us the carpets. It was interesting and there was a good ambiance, you should definitely do this if you can.

After that we went out to eat. We went to a restaurant where we ate Chicken tajine, it was the first time I ate that and I loved it! They sure have great food and the restaurant looked adorable! Coming from the restaurant, we went back to the Medina and discovered that the man make men's clothes and woman women's clothing. They have separated places where they make it and it seemed pretty difficult to me, but then again, I don't even know how to knit :). We walked around for another hour or so and then went back to the hotel. Traveling by bus is fun actually, you can see the landscapes and gives you an opportunity to see the country if  you don't have a lot of time.

richjohnson1944 says:
what an adventure - my wife & I are traveling to Morocco in the Spring. We will be taking horses across the Atlas Mtns into the desert.

Your photos are terrific - thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Sep 03, 2010
travelsickhd says:
great blog...and you're right traveling by bus (or train!) is really a great opportunity to see so much that you normally wouldn't. :)
Posted on: Mar 17, 2008