Liloan Lighthouse

Liloan Travel Blog

my first shot

Saturday, January 19, I took a road trip to the town of Liloan, about 18 kilometers north of Cebu City. This town is well known for its rosquillos biscuit, and other delicacies like their torta muffins, otap, and other specialties. I left Cebu City as early as 6:30 am. Driving was smooth and easy with the light traffic in the early morning. Upon reaching the junction at the town proper where the municipio(town hall) and the church are facing each other with the main road in between, I saw the road turning to the right and immediately went in. I was quite certain that it was the road going to my destination as I saw a lighthouse replica at the roadside with a sign saying 'TO CATARMAN'.

I kept in mind all the instructions given on how to reach the lighthouse. They said that I would know that I'm in Catarman if I crossed the bridge at the river that meets the bay.

going up from the road below
In 5 minutes, I was crossing the bridge and knew I was in Catarman village already. To the left of the bridge I saw a small drydock area for fishing boats, and farther away was the bay. I parked on the roadside to get photos and asked some locals where the exact location of the lighthouse is.

After enjoying the river and bay view, I went on to Bagacay village where the road immediately became rough and narrow with houses and shanties lining both sides of the road. I reached a portion of the road where  a group of villagers were playing basketball using the road as the court, with the ring at the roadside. I thought that I  followed the wrong direction so I made a turn but I reached a dead end later. I got off the car to ask again for directions.

bandera espaniol
I know how to speak the Cebuano dialect so it was quite easy to seek help from the villagers; mostly families of fishermen. Just smile, be polite, do not appear snooty, and they would be more than willing to help. The man I talked with was wondering why I didn't drive straight and made a turn instead so I explained that I reached a basketball court and thought that it was the end of the road so I turned right. He laughed and said that I was at the right road and all I have to do is just drive through and ignore the men playing. I went back to the main road and when I reached the basketball road/street court the men immediately ran to the sides of the road making way for me to pass. I rolled down the window, smiled again and said' Excuse me, moagi sa ko palihug'( Excuse me, i'll just pass through).
octagonal
They nodded and smiled back. In three minutes the road was already going uphill and in a few seconds I saw the lighthouse towering at the highest portion of the hill.

The view was magnificent. Driving around such kind of scenery was so refreshing. It took away all the stress away from my body and soul momentarily. I found a place to park and got off to start my walk around the vicinity. It was 7:15 am. Thick clouds obscured the morning sunrise and there was a soft drizzle. I took photos and lingered around the place for as long as the rain didn't start to fall after an hour and a half. I drove back to Cebu City and went to Mactan Island at the Maribago Bluewater Resort. If the rain  would have stopped and the sun came up, I could have pushed through with my afternoon jet skiing. The rain could have been fine but it was already low tide during that afternoon. I just spent the rest of the afternoon bummin around the resort. It rained for hours.

rizky_wisnu says:
hey Ted this spot is awsome!!!!
Posted on: Feb 09, 2008