The day of trees!

Albany Travel Blog

The theme of today was definitely trees.  We started the day off (at 6am) driving through Warren National Park and the Karri forest to the Bicentennial tree.  It is a massive tree!  The idea is that you're meant to climb this tree with a step-like ladder leading up about 75m.  There are no safety nets, no ropes attaching you to anything.  It doesn't look that bad.  A few of the boys got cocky and headed up first (you can only go 5 at a time) - they made it to the first platform (I'd say about 25-30m up), got scared and headed back down.  I was in the second group.  I started and I was so, so scared.  The adrenaline kicked in and I started shaking like a leaf.  My hands got so sweaty.  I kept thinking one wrong move and I fall and I'll die.  But I kept going.  I was tempted to only go to the first platform.  Once you get to that point, there is a sign warning "this is the easy bit" but I kept going.  I made it to the top and had an amazing view as if you are above the trees and level with the clouds.  Going down (backwards opposite to the way you came up) proved even trickier!  My eyes were going all funny, I think just from focusing on the rungs so much.  I think I was shaking for hours after!  We then did the tree top walk around Walpole among the Tingle trees - the worlds 3 largest trees.  It was also really cool with really nice views above the forest and great photo ops in big tree trunks.  Next stop a swim, sunbake and lunch at Greens Pool and Elephant Cove.  It was gorgeous there.  Once we got close to our destination we visited Natural Bridge, the Gap and the Blowholes - all rock formations on the coast which were nice.  We stayed the night in a cute little backpackers in Albany.
Albany