Whitsundays here I come!

Airlie Beach Travel Blog

Hey everybody,

I am cooking here in Queensland.  I guess it is the tropics and it is summer so I have been sweating like a pig all day everyday.  It is high 30s or more and peak humidity.  You get out of the shower and you are dry for about 2 seconds.  It is all good though.  I like it.  On Wednesday I joined a new group of people and am making my way down the east coast.  They are an interesting bunch, 16 in total.  I am the only non-European.  We have 3 girls under 18, 2 Dutch boys that are 19 and only have one volume LOUD, a posh girl from London who complains all the time, several Germans - one who somehow must think I know everything and annoyingly asks me all these questions about stupid crap, a cute Swiss couple and 2 nurses that I hang out with.  They are both 25, cool and the one lives in Melbourne so we will keep in touch later as well.  Our first day together was fairly relaxed, a few hikes, a few stops to swim and cool off and a visit to a crocodile farm.  I saw a huge croc, over 5 meters.  They scare me bigtime!  We settled in Mission Beach at a really cute hostel for the night.  It was on the road again early the next morning.  We caught a ferry from the mainland to Magnetic Island.  Louise and Nicola (my Scottish buddies) were staying there as well so we rented a cute little carish thing and explored the island and went for dinner together.  It was nice to see them again and also to escape the group for awhile.  Today we are in Airlie Beach.  I kinda think of it as what I would expect coastal Australia to be.  It is a pretty small place really the main street is smaller than Pincher Creek's but it has 32 licensed establishments.  There are lots of outdoor restaurants and bars, beach shops, tanned bodies, flip flops, bikinis, loud music and it looks like everyone is up for a good time.  My kind of place!  It is the set off point for sails in the Whitsunday Islands.  We head off tomorrow for 3 days, 2 nights and I can't wait.  I have seen the postcards of the beaches and heard reports from Louise - perfect white sand, sun, relaxation...I can handle that.  There are 18 guests and 3 crew members on the boat.  I hope it is alright and will fill you all in when I get back.

Should probably run and get my bag organized (the zipper actually popped yesterday which is a major, major pain in my ass!)

I'll be thinking of all of you as I'm sunning myself on the deck of the yacht!

Airlie Beach