Unexpected events

Napier Travel Blog

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I took a long bus journey (7 hours) from Wellington to Taupo - home of New Zealands largest lake.  I didn't really get to see it though as it was already dark.  I stayed in a fairly nice hostel but it was pretty dead.  I just played rummy with some boys from England (yeah more Brits dad!) and watched a movie.  I froze to dead in my room, again I was the only one in a 7 bed dorm.

Bright and early this morning I got picked up to start my "East As" trip to the east coast.  My 6'8" driver, High Tower (I wonder how he got that name?), greeted me and said "guess what - you're the only one on the bus".  That was kinda crap.  He suggested that I stay in one of the stops a few nights to catch up with another group coming on Monday (Hannah and Sarah will be on that bus) or I could go the whole way by myself.  So, needless to say I decided to stay put in Napier for a few nights.  It is not actually on the original route but it seems like a cute little place - The Art Deco capital of New Zealand because the city was rebuilt in 1931 after a massive earthquake and fire destroyed the place.  There are lots of wineries around and I might partake in the bike wine tour (sounds dangerous and interesting doesn't it??).  It's right on the coast and quite pretty.  My hostel - Archie's Bunker, is really nice and the people at reception are super.  It was either stay at Archie's or a prison!!  The only bad thing is with all of these unexpected events and stays, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it up to Auckland in time for the All Blacks game (and I have tickets)  Ah well...

I also changed my Australia plans.  As fun as traveling is and as wonderful as NZ has been, I am getting sick of backpacking.  I am tired of packing my bag every day and getting on a bus early in the morning, sleeping in dorm rooms and sharing showers and toilets.  It is seriously exhausting (I must be getting too old).  I extended my stay here for a week and then I'm going to fly directly to Melbourne, settle for a bit, get a job (I've got 2 interviews lined up already) and save money to travel more when I feel up to it.  My friend Belinda gets back just before I arrive and we're going to get a place together so I am really excited.

I will update you all about Napier once I've explored this little gem.

Sweet as bro!