Tourist Extraordinaire!

Trujillo Travel Blog

Hi folks,

I am dead tired tonight - I feel as if I've done almost every touristy thing there is to do in Wellington.  I felt obligated to fit it all in my one full day I have here.  It was so nice to just do my own thing, by myself at my pace.

I did however have an amazing sleep and woke up at 11am (much needed).  I leisurely made my way down to the harbour, walked around a bit and snapped a few photos.  The water is the most lovely color of green.  I then visited Te Papa museum.  It was fabulous and free!  Some of the cool things included a simulated earthquake (I guess they get a lot of them here as this is right on a fault line) and the Lord of the Rings Exhibit (although having seen some of the films probably would have made it more interesting).  I then walked further down the harbour and through the city center to check out the parliament buildings.  Next was a short ride up the cable car to the Botanical Gardens.  Tyson had said Wellington reminded him of a very mini Hong Kong and I would agree.  I took the tram in HK to the peak and saw views of the city and the water very similar to here (on a much smaller scale of course).  The winds however remind me a lot of Pincher Creek!!  I had a nice walk down through the gardens and some parks back to the city center.  They were quite good now but would be amazing in the summer.  There is a huge rose garden but none are in bloom now.  I treated myself to a nice dinner and dessert.  The dessert was to die for!!!  I think it was also well deserved after hiking at least 10km today.

I am the only one in my 6 bed dorm tonight so I'm looking forward to just relaxing, reading and having a good night's sleep.  Tomorrow I am off to Taupo (long bus ride).

photo by: lealealou