Surf's Up!

Gisborne Travel Blog

Today I got on my "East As" bus - there were 8 of us in total (3 of which are named Hannah!!).  I quickly got the nickname of Nana Hannah, grandma Hannah or Hannah1 because I am the oldest.  One of the other Hannah's is the one I met before/skied with/speech therapist and the last one actually has quite a bit in common with me as her dad is also a vet, she's the oldest child...  Her friend Sarah is still with her.  We also had 2 boys from Geurnsey (I'd never even heard of this place before) and an annoying little pip squeak American who liked to tell us all about his yoga and vegetarianism (I'm sure he's gay).  Our bus driver is Halo as he apparently never does anything wrong - right...

The first part of our drive east on the pacific coast highway was nice.  Loads of green hills and sheep.  There are lots of little lambs around.  Did you know there are about 4 million people living in NZ and about 40 million sheep??  We arrived in Gisbourne which is a famous surfing town so I decide I better sign up for a surfing lesson but unfortunately there was a) no surf and b) the surfing instructor was MIA.  We stayed in a really cute house turned hostel called Chalet Surf Lodge.  It was right next to the beach.  After watching a movie was all crammed into our very crowded rooms and froze our butts off.  I actually had to sleep in my down vest!

photo by: wendybodenmann