No kayaking for us!

Russell Travel Blog

Our bus wasn't scheduled to go back to Auckland until 4:15pm so we had some time to kill in the bay of islands.  Evin (Irish guy I've been traveling with for the past few days) and I decided we'd rent a kayak and go exploring a bit.  By the time we got organized with the proper attire the kayak rental place was closed to do a tour.  Plan B was to go across to Russell, a short journey via ferry and see what that was all about.  We thought we might be able to rent kayaks over there but no luck in the winter.  I guess kayaking wasn't meant to be. We looked at the oldest church in NZ (Christ Church) and that was about the extent of the little town's attractions.  You can basically walk the town area in 5 minutes.  We hiked up a hill but nothing too special.  With nothing to do but eat, that's what we did.  The weather had been beautiful when we first got outside in the morning, so being a bit over zelous I donned the board shorts and tank top.  Well the clouds quickly covered the sun and I was freezing for most of the day.  We made our way back across to Paihia and just as we were walking back to the hostel it started pouring rain, like I mean pounding down!  It was about a 3 hour drive back to Auckland but we just watched a movie on the bus.  As it was Evin's last night in NZ and a Saturday night, we had to go out for a few drinks.

Russell