Hello Australia!!

Melbourne Travel Blog

G'd day mate (did you know they actually say that here all the time!?!)

Well I made it to Melbourne safely yesterday evening.  It was a pretty long day in the Auckland airport and I had a few rude remarks about my heavy carry-on luggage but the flight over to Australia was short and smooth.  I had absolutely no problems with immigration.  They didn't ask anything about a visa or about money or a ticket or anything.  I guess I don't look like a terrorist or someone who will stay forever.

I met up with Belinda and we hiked over to the Rialto building (something like the largest office building in the southern hemisphere).  It was free to go up as it was 'Melbourne Day' or something.  It was a nice introduction into the city to see all the lights from high above.  We then went over to her sister, Amanda's, apartment and just relaxed.  It was nice to just be in a house for once.  However, the cat made me quite allergic.  Belinda is at work today so I ventured into the city to check things out.  It was interesting getting onto the tram.  I had to ask people how to get on because you basically stand in the middle of the road.  It's funny when you feel completely helpless but at least everyone speaks English and is eager to help out.  Melbourne seems like a nice city based on what I've seen so far.  The weather is gorgeous today - I'd say over 20 degrees.  Some people are still dressed in woolen jackets though (softies!!).  I organized a mobile so I will give you guys the number when I figure out the SIM card and such.  We will likely be looking for an apartment soon so I'll keep you updated.

wes_amy says:
Glad to hear you've made it safe and sound to Auz. I've been pretty impressed by all your extreme adventures! You're a brave girl! Can't wait to hear about your continued adventures in Australia. Have fun!
Posted on: Sep 01, 2006