Franz Josef

Franz Josef Travel Blog

Hey guys,

I'm in Franz Josef tonight and we will be here for 2 nights.  Sue and I are kind of sleeping in a shed, it's a bit ridiculous but kinda cute.  She was quite pissed off but I said just imagine we are camping!  It has a hot tub I'm going to hit up tonight.  We've been really lucky as far as weather goes - usually it rains here 2 out of 3 days but we have had nothing but sunshine (knock on wood).  It's still quite chilly though.  Last night was a total gong show!  There were lots of hungover people on the bus today.  All the costumes were fantastic so they just did a draw for the prize and I won!  I won a ride on the canyon swing in Queenstown, worth $150 so that's pretty sweet.  They have us doing lots of walking but we have been seeing the most amazing scenery.  What I've seen of New Zealand so far is absolutely beautiful.  My toe is still hurting, especially with all the recent hiking and guess what I'm doing tomorrow???  An 8 hour hike on a glacier something like 600m above sea level (or 6000m maybe).  I'm really excited, we get spikes on our shoes and everything!  Today we stopped and did a pretty steep walk but you could see the coast, the rainforest and the snowy mountains - so cool.  I've been trying to cook my own meals - nothing fancy but still saves some money.  I don't have too much else to tell you now.  I'm actually really tired because we have early mornings most days and then lots of activities all day, everyday.  Traveling is hard work...

I'll write again soon,

jonothan8 says:
Hi Hannah
My daughter Kate (aged 19) is working as an au pair in italy for a year. She is presently at a beach called Forte dei Marme in Tuscany. I googled it, came across Travel Buddy, and read your posts (the words New Zealand always attract my attention!). I worked in the oil fields in Canada in the sevenries and met some wonderful people there. Now I live in Auckland with my wife Deb, and my daughter Frances (Kate's twin sister) and our son Nick, who's 16. If you're in Auckland and need a place to stay, or would like to have a meal with a Kiwi family or whatever, call us on (09) 6230889 and we'll be delighted to make you welcome.
Kia ora