Driving on the opposite side of the road...

Melbourne Travel Blog

Hey everybody,

Today I got my first shot at driving on the opposite side of the road.  It was really nerve wracking.  I knew it was going to happen so I had some trouble sleeping last night - I woke up about every hour.  I think the fact that my new physio colleague, Penny, asked me to drive her car (to the autobody shop) that is a manual and had screwed up brakes just made it worse.  I was going through every possibility and invisioning it on my way to work this morning.  Luckily when I got there Penny decided to let me drive the work car that is new, nice and automatic.  It actually wasn't as bad as expected.  It probably was the nice little intro I needed.  It was strange though, don't get me wrong!  I kept turning on the windshield wipers instead of the signal light and I didn't really know where I was looking with the mirrors and such.  We didn't go through any roundabouts or anything so it was cool.  I think I need to go get the road rules tomorrow.  Melbourne has this unique turn that you need to be in the far left hand lane to turn right across all the trafic, and people seem to do U turns everywhere.  It just gets me really stressed and red in the face.  I am sure my blood pressure is rising just thinking about it.  If I don't get in an accident while I'm here it will be a miracle!

Tonight I am meeting with Louise, a lovely girl from Scotland that I met in New Zealand.  She has also just moved to Melbourne so it'll be nice to expand my very limited network of friends.

Yesterday it was 30 degrees - the hottest day on record for this time of the year in the last 150 years.  The wind was so hot, it was nice.  Hope the weather stays nice for the weekend as we're heading to an outdoor music festival on Saturday.  I think it is supposed to be cold and rainy though (figures).

Did you guys watch Steve Erwin's memorial?  I caught some of it on the radio - what a sad speech from his little girl, Bindy, I almost cried just listening to it.

Anyways I am rambling on about all sorts of stuff.  I will update again soon,

photo by: jendara