Deep South

Te Anau Travel Blog

Hey Everyone,

The last few days I've been in the deep south of New Zealand.  Actually where we stayed last night, Curio Bay, may well be the furthest south I ever get (unless I go to the very south tip of South America or Antarctica).  It is 4800km from the South Pole.  I joined the "Bottom Bus" which is much smaller - only 13 people on the bus.  All of which are from England except me.  I don't quite understand some of their conversations about crumpets and tea and such.  Three of the guys are complete assholes but the rest are nice (some are from the initial Kiwi Bus I was on).  Last night in Curio Bay (population 11) we stayed in a small hostel with no TV or internet or anything really so we got to know each other pretty well and played some little games and read to kill time.  We had an amazing meal last night.  We saw a 180 million year old fossilized forest and the rarest species of penguin coming in from sea (yellow eyed penguin).  Tonight we are staying in Te Anau, a lovely little town on a big lake (about 55km long, second biggest in NZ).  Our hostel is right on the lake.  I think most of us will just chill and watch a movie tonight.  Most are sick (including myself), it was inevitable really with us all sharing a bus and rooms.  Almost everybody is coughing.  The south is definitely more cold.  I've been wearing almost all of my layers everyday.

Tomorrow we are off to Milford Sound - it is supposed to be one of the most beautiful things to see in this country but I've heard it's quite weather dependent.

I will update again soon,

Te Anau