Chillin in the Rainforest

Cape Tribulation Travel Blog

Hey guys,

The last few days have been a bit strange.  I have gone from barren, dry, red, sandy desert to the lush, humid green coastal rainforest.  I also left a group that I'd been spending all day with and went back to being a solo traveller.  I actually miss my little buddies and feel like it's really lonesome and quiet at the moment.  I arrived in Cairns yesterday evening and checked into my hostel (Calypso) which was a funky little place with a great dinner buffet.  I was too tired to do much else and just organized myself and went to bed early.  It was another early morning on the bus on my way to Cape Tribulation.  We stopped at Port Douglas at a wildlife park and saw some pretty cool animals and birds.  I would have loved to have stayed in Port Douglas longer as it looks like a really nice place.  We stopped for lunch at a lovely restaurant nestled in the rainforest.  I was the only one on the tour to get off the bus to stay the night.  I am now at my hostel - The Beach House and it is awesome.  It is right in the middle of the forest.  You can hear all the birds, waves crashing up against the beach (which is basically right at my doorstep), bugs...seems really relaxing.  I am just waiting for tide to go down so I can do a  3km walk along the beach to the Cape Trib lookout point.  Unfortunately the jelly fish are out in full force at this time of year so you can't swim in the sea.  I am planning a guided night walk tonight to see what creepy, crawly creatures I can see in the forest at night!  Pretty exciting.  I think we look for crocodiles as well - they live here too.  I really like this place and wish I could stay longer.  I best get off here now so I can soak it all in while I can.

Talk to you soon,