Cape Reinga

Paihia Travel Blog

It was another early morning today as we made our way all the way to the northern most tip of NZ - Cape Reinga.  It's pretty cool that I've been able to make it pretty much as far north, east and south as you can get in this country.

It was quite a long day on the bus and the guide/driver had a very strange was of speaking.  He was extremely hard to understand as he put his emphasis and intonation in weird places in mid sentence - strange.  He liked telling very lame jokes, talking about fishing for about an hour and singing Maori songs.  We did get to see some pretty cool stuff though.  We stopped off at the Kauri forests, they are really big trees.  We hiked right up to the Cape Reinga lighthouse and had some nice views.  We stopped off for a little picnic and walk in a bay for lunch.  After the food we went sandboarding down some massive sand dunes (I thought the one in Fiji was big but this was at least 5 times bigger).  Apparently the cops have clocked people going down on the boards at 90km an hour and I believe it.  It was a pretty strenuous hike up to the top so I only did it once.  We drove down the 90 mile beach - right on the sand with the big bus.  We made another short stop off at a workshop/store that makes this really nice (and expensive) furniture out of the Kauri forests that were underground since before the ice age - this wood is 45000 years old so it is quite impressive.  A fish and chip dinner finished off the tour and we made our way back to Paihia.

photo by: Ils1976