Bay of Islands

Paihia Travel Blog

Hey guys,

I am now up in Paihia in the Bay of Islands.  It's really pretty.  There weren't too many people on the bus up here, just me, an Irish guy I met a few days ago and 4 Japanese that don't speak much English.  We went on a "Dolphin Adventure" tour this afternoon.  We were meant to go swimming with the dolphins but unfortunately there was a baby in the pod so you can't get in the water.  However, it was freezing so part of me was a bit relieved too.  It was pretty cool to see them so close up.  We went right to the front of the boat and layed on our stomachs on the bow and looked over the edge.  Some of them would blow water out their blow holes and it would hit us right in the face!  They were Bottlenose Dolphins and I'd say there was a group of at least 8 or so of them.  They didn't seem to bothered by us and actually stayed around playing and showing off for some time.  It's another early morning tomorrow so probably won't get up to too much tonight.  We are making our way further north to Cape Reinga tomorrow morning.

Hannah