DAY TRIP to MONTEVIDEO

Montevideo Travel Blog

The two and a half hour drive to Montevideo from Punta Ballena was just so pleasant. The sun was out and the sky was just this perfect shade of blue. Hardly any cloud. We rented a car in Punta del Este. My first time to go around by a rental car. I usually travel alone but this time round was able to get my Argentine friend Juanpi to come along for the weekend. Good thing as I did not know how to drive. I think my genes have mutated to the point that anything remotely related to cars just doesn't stick to my brain. - like teflon!

Of course, a hundred kilometers away from Montevideo and we noticed the fuel gauge was near (nay practically empty). I heard there's still some reserve fuel when the gauge shows empty (i guess something stuck!).
So hey , no worries, it's a major route. There's bound to be gas stations littering the route. Five minutes, ten minutes, twenty minutes and still no gas station. I was starting to sweat. I was thinking great, first time I rent a car and we run out of gas. Perfect!

A nice anecdote to add to me falling down on an escalator along with my luggages (yes 3 pieces) in the Munich airport to the stunned silence of other passengers. I never fully understood deafening silence until after I heard (or was it not heard?) what followed the gasps of other passengers as they saw me tumbling down with my luggages down the escalator. Or that other incident when I walked the Parisian streets with a bleeding knee (not to mention torn jeans) and a bleeding hand after clumisly falling two flights of stairs at the Invalides.

It turned out my pessimistic nature got the better of me, yet again. Five minutes and there it was a gas station, FINALLY!

We arrived in Montevideo midday on a Saturday. I immediately noticed the laid back vibe of this capital. The pace was so pleasantly slow. Walking the streets you feel relaxed. It almost seemed therapeutic.

The sun was fully out but the heat was not oppressive. A very good day. We walked to the beach and saw the locals swimming and relaxing.

I now understand why people go to Uruguay to retire. The pace and way of life seems just perfect for those seeking to leave all of the rat race behind.

I would be coming back.
Sunflower300 says:
Did anyone help you after you fell? You sure have some adventure on your trips (no pun intended). :)
Posted on: Mar 23, 2008
RacquelT127 says:
what an exciting blog.. i was thinking oh they're going to run out of gas.. and then you bring up your past anecdotes of falling.. boy did I gasp, as if I was there seeing it. i totally pictured it =)
Posted on: Mar 23, 2008