yellowstone and the animals

Yellowstone National Park Travel Blog

This was my second trip to Yellowstone and this trip was at the beginning of the winter season.  I have included photos of both trips on this blog.  As you will see by the snowy photos there wasn't much to see out of the window.  With that being said I would not have skipped the second trip for anything.

I relish being able to photograph animals in their own environment and not at some zoo or park.  I was not disappointed on this trip; one of my second hopes has always been to photograph a bear in the wild.  This is at a safe distant were it would hopefully not have the opportunity to eat me or make a sandwich out of my hide.  On my way out of the park I happened onto a Grizzly Bear, it was beautiful, alive, and about 8 feet from my car (which coincidently I left in drive the entire time).  The bear could care less about me taking photos or any other human being for that matter.  It was one of the most marvelous things I have seen in a very very long time.  I spent the remainder of the day on my tiptoes and hoping the photos turned out.

This trip Old Faithful was closed due to a snow storm that blew in and made most roads impossible to maneuver.  Old Faithful the previous trip was a site to see, they have the time of the eruptions down to precision timing, and it was within a 5-minute window.  The land around the Geyser is stunning with smaller Geysers and pools of crystal blue water.

There are paths to walk around the main Geyser and wildlife running free around the entire park and Old Faithful.  I rounded a bin and came face-to-face with a full grown male buffalo about 10 feet away from me.  I went to Old Faithful at the scheduled eruption time and it did not disappoint, it was a brilliant eruption that lasted over 5-minutes.  This is definitely worth the trip for this one attraction at the park.

However, it doesn't stop there; you can't miss the falls, lava pits, or other minor Geysers throughout the park.  My next stop at the lava pits brought me close to a Coyote on the side of the road and then on my way back down from the pits there was a wolf sitting within feet of my car.  It was injured but a glorious site all the same.  The wolves were recently re-introduced to the park.

I don't feel this brief blog does the park justice, its beauty is hard for me to capture in words.  The one thing I can truly say about Yellowstone is I look forward to going back in the spring.

Now for the details and tourist info:

Yellowstone National Park, set aside as a national park on March 1, 1872, is located mostly in the U.

S. state of Wyoming, though it also extends into Montana and Idaho. The park was the first of its kind, and is known for its wildlife and geothermal features, especially Old Faithful Geyser, one of the most popular areas in the park.[1]

Aboriginal Americans have lived in the Yellowstone region for at least 11,000 years. The region was bypassed during the Lewis and Clark Expedition in the early 1800s.

Aside from visits by mountain men during the early to mid-1800s, organized exploration did not begin until the late 1860s. The U.S. Army was commissioned to oversee the park just after its establishment. In 1917, administration of the park was transferred to the National Park Service, which had been created the previous year. Hundreds of structures have been built and are protected for their architectural and historical significance, and researchers have examined more than 1,000 archaeological sites.

Yellowstone National Park spans an area of 3,472 square miles (8,987 kmĀ²), comprising lakes, canyons, rivers and mountain ranges.   Yellowstone Lake is one of the largest high-altitude lakes in North America and is centered over the Yellowstone Caldera, the largest super volcano on the continent.

The caldera is considered an active volcano; it has erupted with tremendous force several times in the last two million years. Half of the world's geothermal features are in Yellowstone, fueled by this ongoing volcanism.   Lava flows and rocks from volcanic eruptions cover most of the land area of Yellowstone. The park is the centerpiece of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, the largest remaining, nearly-intact ecosystem in the Earth's northern temperate zone.

Hundreds of species of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles have been documented, including several that are either endangered or threatened.   The vast forests and grasslands also include unique species of plants. Grizzlies, wolves, and free-ranging herds of bison and elk live in the park. Forest fires occur in the park each year; in the large forest fires of 1988, nearly one third of the park burned. Yellowstone has numerous recreational opportunities, including hiking, camping, boating, fishing and sightseeing. Paved roads provide close access to the major geothermal areas as well as some of the lakes and waterfalls. During the winter, visitors often access the park by way of guided tours that use either snow coaches or snowmobile.

vances says:
Nice write up and excellent photo's!
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008