1880 South Dakota

Murdo Travel Blog

Walk down Main Street of this 1880 town and explore more than 30 buildings authentically furnished with thousands of relics.  Enjoy the rolling terrain of a sprawling homestead and envision life on the prairie. While at the 1880 town, you can also view memorabilia from the late Casey Tibbs, a champion rodeo bronco rider, and many props that were used in filming the movie "Dances with Wolves".

The 1880 town began as a movie set, though it was never used for filming by the movie company that constructed it. The set was given to a local resident, Clarence Hullinger, in payment for the antiques he supplied for the planned movie.  The town consists mainly of old buildings that were found in the area, and over the last several decades, it has been expanded with many additional authentic old buildings, artifacts and memorabilia.

Considerable history of the old west is represented by the authentic buildings in the 1880 town and the original relics.  Rent costumes and dress like those who lived in a town in this era.    Stop by the saloon and enjoy the music of the times as you dream about life on the prairie.

Watch for the 1880 Town sheriff as he patrols the streets!

The unplanned stops are usually the best and give us our much needed detours in life.

I spent the morning at Mount Rushmore as the sun rose, then it was off to Sturgis for an afternoon of fun and then it was time to get back on track and head to Indiana to get a boat.  After a couple hours of driving the road was getting long and I found myself driving Braille a few times.  Then I saw it a huge billboard for 1880 the movie set for Dances with Wolves.  I will be honest I didn't care for the movie, although I needed the stop and consume a huge dose of caffeine.

After stretching and downing a Monster I went into the town.  What a pleasant surprise, this place is amazing.  As you walk in you are in the middle of a parlor/gift shop, you get the basic spill about the location and the history, you pay your $9.00 and then you’re off.  The first room you enter is full of antiques, saddles, photographs, and other saloon type memorabilia.  The room is round with a large heavy red door on the far wall, as you push it open it is like stepping back in time.  The entire town has the look and feel of an old black and white western.  The saloon, trains, churches, and stores looked like something I saw in an old John Wayne movie.  Well basically, it was a spectacular find and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes photographing the old west.  By the way bring treats for the stray cats; they will follow you until you feed them.

9,234 km (5,738 miles) traveled