What are Topes?

Cancun Travel Blog

I flew into Cancun and I had no idea where I wanted to go or stay.  I had intentionally avoided booking anything more than a flight because I knew I wanted to see ruins and I wasn’t sure where the best “base of operations” would be.  I rented my car and drove into Cancun and over to the hotel strip around the lagoon.  I was hungry and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to eat, but after making one loop around the lagoon, I decided to just go with a known quantity.  TGI Fridays.  LOL!  However, it was a good choice.  I talked to the bartender about places to stay and got a full list of every night club worth visiting and which days were the best for each.

After that, I drove down to a beach front parking area and decided to look over some maps to figure out where I wanted to go.  I knew I wanted to get to Playa del Carmen at some point and a very funny story ended up making me go that evening.  While the story is pretty funny, you will have to know me MUCH better to hear it.  Anyway, suffice it to say that I ended up driving down the freeway at night and having my first encounter with topes.  For those of you who don’t know what they are…topes are like speed bumps.  But on the freaking freeway!!!  One encounter with them and you never miss a topes 100m sign again.  :  )

The beach at Cancun