York Travel Blog

YorkMinster

As I'm nearing the end of my stay in the UK, I wanted to do something with my aunty who had done a lot for me this year. Irene had let me use her house as a base for my wanderings, letting me leave my stuff their as I travelled here and there, or worked away somewhere. It's been great to have family around. I've always known that I have them to watch out for me and they've been really helpful. Irene has also become a close friend of mine. We'd been talking awhile ago and both expressed the interest to visit Englands oldest city of York. Irene would love to go but had no one to go with, nor the time. She's a kind of person that needs to be pushed. So thats what I did. We picked a date, I booked a B&B for us and we drove up to York on the Thursday.

The Shambles

From her home in Essex it was only a 3.5 hour drive. The highways were littered with the remains of roadkill such as foxes, bunnys, pheasants and badgers. Made a difference from the possums, roos and lizards normally seen on the roadsides back home. Just as sad though. Eventually we made it up to York and without much hassle, found our B&B, Blossoms. Blossoms is situated on a street called Clifton that leads right into the old town of York. Which was pretty handy as we walked down each day when going about our wanderings.

That afternoon we wandered around, in awe of the city walls and the giant Cathedral they protected. The streets are quaint, Victorian and very old. It is a beautiful town that boasts many little arts & crafts stores, boutiques, galleries etc.

The Shambles
It's refreshing after all the other cities of Englands seem to be stuck with only the modern chain stores. York has them too.. but they're not in the old town. We enjoyed checking out all the shops in the area and decided to hit a pub before dinner. We had a couple of drinks each before finding a lovely restaraunt. It was my shout tonight so I found somewhere that looked really nice, and would cater for both our tastes. Irene is an extremely fussy eater, and I'm vegitarian. Not the easiet people to please. But Michaels Brasserie looked perfect. They had a decent looking Vegitarian menu and the specials boasted roast Turkey which Irene enjoys but never cooks for herself. So we went in and ordered.

The food was amazing. I had a vegitarian hot pot with garlic bread, and Irene really enjoyed her roast turkey, complete with plates of vegies! We were quite full.. but the mixed berry pavlova sounded tempting so we got one to share. It was a really good meal and the waitstaff were all really lovely. We wandered back down to our B&B for a cuppa and an early night, as we had a lot of sight seeing to do the next day.

moshers_moll says:
Awww I love and miss York so much, it is probably my most favourite place in England. I love The Shambles :-)
Posted on: Jul 06, 2009
Bondy2007 says:
Oi!! Where's your Chesterfield blog!?
Posted on: Mar 04, 2009
delsol67 says:
It's nice to see th quaint side of England.
Posted on: Mar 04, 2009