Quick visit to Wales

Cardiff Travel Blog

The Castle rooms

So in my leaving I'm trying to see all my relatives before I go, with little success. But I managed a quick trip to Wales to see my grandmas cousins, John & Ave who I'd stayed with in June.

I left Lori's at 8am with her and made my way to Victoria Coach station. Sat around for an hour as I was early, reading til it was time to board the bus. I snoozed, read my book and enjoyed the 3 hours trip into the city centre. Once there I had to track down the times for the buses in Llantwit Major, where my relatives live. It wasn't til 5pm, and it was 2pm. So I had some time to kill. Went to one Cafe - Comfortably Numb for lunch. Comfortably Numb is  cafe who's proceeds got to a cancer foundation in memory to a local welsh boy called Joshua who died of cancer when he was quite young.

The Norman Keep
So I like going there, and their hot chocolates are full of marshmallows!!

After lunch, I went to the the Welsh Shop, purchasing a few souveniers that I'd missed last time I was in the country. I then went to my fave coffee shop, Atlantic Coffee, on Arcade St. Had a tea and a welsh cake and sat there for awhile reading. It was right next to me bus stop so that was handy! Eventually got on my bus and headed out to Llantwit Major, a half hour drive. It was uneventful enough, the bus driver very friendly and helpful when I asked him to drop me on Eagleswell Rd as I would'nt recognize it in the dark. He offered to drive me right to the door as I was the 2nd last passenger, which he did.

I got indoors where it was warm and Ave had a huge wok of veggie pasta she know I love, on the stove. So we had dinner and caught each other up on events since we saw each other last in June.

Cardiff Castle from the top of the Keep
It was really good to see them again, if only briefly. They're an active couple who enjoy their motorbike travel holidays and we get along quite well. And it was great, after sharing a single bed with Lori the night before, to have a huge double bed to myself. It was a beautiful nights sleep!!

The next day I was up early with Ave and she dropped me back into the city centre, as she had work. So I was in Cardiff at 8am, with little to do. I went in hunt of a Wetherspoons for breaky but it wasn't open yet, but found a little diner that was. Sat in there for half hour having breakfast and yes, reading my book still. Then I went to check out Cardiff Castle, which I'd missed out on last time around. It was really interesting, a site where an impressive castle has stood for over 2000 years, but has constantly changed, been burnt, been built, been redecorated, etc.

Inside the crumbling Keep
The last owners, the Marquess of Bute, made the most of the Castle House and Cardiff itself as a City. The 3rd Marquess was left a fortune when he'd father passed when he was young. When he came of age and could access the money he had many rooms changed, restored, re-decorated by the famous William Burgess. If you ever visit the Castle, definitely do the house tour. However skip the  movie, it's ridiculous!

I went back across the road to Comfortably Numb, enjoying another hot chocolate for half an hour til my coach arrived at 12.30pm. I was back in London by 3.30pm and heading back to Grays in Essex. The coach ride back into London was when it really hit me that I was going home. Passing familiar streets, tubes stations, buildings, and realising it would be a long time til I was back again. Became quite sad and had the urge to push back my flight. But I think it is time to go home. It was an exhausting couple of days but I had a great time.

delsol67 says:
Cardiff look so magical.
Posted on: Mar 04, 2009
The Norman Keep
Cardiff Castle from the top of the…
Cardiff Castle from the top of th…
View to the north from the Keep