Mad Max Tour

Salisbury Travel Blog

I woke up and packed my stuff early, feeling a little seedy from the night before. Had breakfast and left my stuff with the hostel. I made my way down the street to the meetup point. I'd booked a tour with Mad Max Tours, that seemed fairly laid back and took you to many places. I was starting to realise that my 'seediness' was actually me coming down witg a cold. My throat was sore, and my nose runny. What a bugger.

A small busload of us drove through the beautiful country side beyond Bath on our way to Stonehenge. It was a really lovely drive and I enjoyed not having to think or do anything for awhile. Just look out the window and listen to our drivers commentary.
On the way to Stonehenge we saw a few horses drawn into the chalkhills. They're amazing but some people really have too much time. Still, getting the proportions right is tricky and some we saw were pretty decent.

Once we made it to Stonehenge we all received a commentary device like the one I'd received the day before in Bath. We walked under the highway that passes by the historic site and came up the other side to a lovely first site of Stonehenge. The highway kind of ruins things a little, but it's still a lovely place. It feels old and all around the area there you can spot burial mounds. Stonehenge is an ancient stone cirlce that is surrounded by many myths and speculations as to its original purpose. There are still many excavations going on around the area to uncover what lies beneath the soil. It was worth a visit, regardless of what many critics have said.
Our tour guide, ad the ressurected stone that killed a man.

From there we went on to Avebury, a small village that exists within much larger stone cirle that has existed long before Stonehenge even. During the 15th century the town leader demanded that all the stones be pushed over and buried, as they were pagan monuments and an insult to the Church. Some people are really ridiculous. They never managed to push and bury them all as a plague hit about that time and half the towns population were buried instead. In the early 1900's efforts were made to uncover and resurrect the stones. When this was being done, they found a skeleton beneath one of the stones. It looks as if someone were standing in the way of the stone as it were falling, and was crushed underneath. These stones are so heavy and massive that the impact would have killed the poor person, so he was simply covered.
Godric's Hollow in Lacock Village.
The remains can be seen today at the Natural History Museum in London.

From there we visited some old Cottswold Villages. The first being Lacock National Trust village that is the setting for Hogsmeade in Harry Potter movie and also home to Harrys first house 'Godrics Hollow'. We had lunch in a 14th Century pub there, whose reputation possibly exceeds it's quality of food. I went for a stroll around the quiet town, stopping in at a bakery for a decent slice of carrot cake. From there we went to another little village, Castle Combes and had a look around there. The youngest house in that village is 200 years old, so the whole place is pretty old and was the backdrop for the movie Stardust.

We arrived back in Bath at about 5pm. I stopped in at Waitrose for some food to take back to Knowl Hill, picked up my bags and enjoyed my last walk down to the station. Bath is a gorgeous little town and I really recommend anyone with time on their travels, to visit it. Especially when you're from a place where there is very little history, it's nice to be able to appreciate a place that has stories and old buildings.
Our tour guide, ad the ressurected…
Our tour guide, ad the ressurecte…
Godrics Hollow in Lacock Village.
Godric's Hollow in Lacock Village.
Castle Combes