CCSU Senior Class Trip to New Jersey - Atlantic City

Atlantic City Travel Blog

outside Caesars

We’d been asleep for an hour or two until our travel mates began making noise outside going room-to-room knocking on doors to wake everyone up to start the day.  Then the maid started knocking and I had to get up to ask her to give me some towels and go away.  M and I lied there talking more and both wanted to try to repair our relationship.  (I was young and naive and had never been “in love” before, so I knew no better at the time.)  Slowly we got ourselves ready and took shower.

Because the tourist season doesn’t begin until after Memorial Day, Wildwood was desolate and everything was closed.  Some other student on the trip took the initiative to set up a jaunt to Atlantic City.

Caesars & Trump Plaza
  The only additional cost for anyone who wanted to go was $3 for the bus ride, so we decided to join them.

The bus wasn’t due until 5:00pm, so M and I went for a walk around town and along the boardwalk.  We found a park where I pushed her on a swing and we sat embraced like lovers on a sidewalk bench to enjoy the quiet of the clear spring day.  We walked arm-in-arm like we had on our first trip together and I thought that perhaps there was still hope for us yet.  We stopped at a liquor store in keeping with our plans to get drunk together that night and then M bought me lunch at Subway, a gesture I found very sweet and touching.  Along the way we affectionate again and I felt that we could we might get passed all that had happened.

In Atlantic City we ate at Planet Hollywood and gambled at the casinos.

expressionless at the slot machines
  I lost $1.25 of my own money in the slots, plus a few dollars in tokens some winning people had given me.  I blew $20 at the craps table in three rolls of the dice and had had enough, but M continued at the slots for a while longer.  Watching her and the other few patrons at the one-armed-bandits with their expressionless faces, I wondered how they could find it fun to drop their money into those coin-eating, electro-mechanical pigs.

That night our group got back to the motel around midnight and the rest of the students were already partying.  We went to our room to get started drinking then visited with the other students in the party rooms.  Though M had claimed all day that she would get drunk, she sipped away at two or three drinks over the period in which I had seven.

Waiting for the bus back to Wildwood from the casinos

When everyone had called it a night, we went back to our room.  I lied on the bed while she went to use the bathroom.  We had agreed to continue the party on our own, but I nodded off while she was on the thrown and, rather than waking me to continue the evening as we’d planned, M just went to bed when she came out and found me asleep.

Wednesday we had to get be by noon, so we each took a shower, got dressed, and packed our bags.  On the bus we tried to get some sleep by leaning on or lying across one another.  When we arrived at campus the sky was darkened with clouds and rain was poring down.  It seemed fitting weather for the end of such a dreary and heart-wrenching trip.

expressionless at the slot machines
Waiting for the bus back to Wildwo…
Waiting for the bus back to Wildw…
Atlantic City