Russia

Saint Petersburg Travel Blog

Church of Spilled Blood

We stayed in St. Petersburg, Russia for 2 days. Not nearly enough time to see everything. Although we saw the Church of Spilled Blood twice, we never went in. The tour guide was great and told excellent stories behind the church and Peter the Great himself, which who the city was named after. We drove by and took pictures of Peter the Great's summer home and winter home, which were mansions. The yards seemed beautifully green with lots of trees and nature, seemed acres large.

I always love seeing the natural culture of a new city, and that's exactly what experienced with each meal, and shot of vodka I took! Our tour guide had this cute Russian accent, and I loved when she told the stories because she had to sometimes search for the proper English words.

We did have time to shop on the street Russian 'flea markets'. The nesting dolls are very popular for a tourist souviner. They are artisticly painted on the outside and hand carved wooden dolls on the inside.  I also bought a Russian chess board here, along with the polish one I purchased in Poland. I always like to encourage people to use their brain and a game of chess is the perfect game for that. I gave one of the chess boards away. Of course similar to American " flea markets or thrift stores" although there may be a price listed on an item, doesn't mean it's not negotiable....When I was interested in purchasing the chess board, I don't think the owner expected me to know the current currency conversion! Lol lol But fortunately I did so I was able to haggle a bit to convince him to reduce the price a bit when I finally agreed to a price on the chess board.

Russian cop car
Russian cop car
Saint Petersburg Sights & Attractions review
Seeing and visiting the Church of Spilled Blood on the outside of the church was great. The tour guide had given us the entire history of how the chur… read entire review
315 km (196 miles) traveled