A long walk

Dubai Travel Blog

Dubai Evening Skyline
Well here I am in Dubai - in the United Arab Emirates. I have been here before and stayed in a resort hotel - it was fun and I enjoyed it but I was only there 2 days so it was OK (I get bored very quickly). This time I am staying at the Moevenpick Hotel which seems to be in a more central location. Nice hotel with great staff. Anyway, yesterday I managed to find a 5 hour window in my work and so grabbed the camera and headed out to find the "real" Dubai. The concierge recommended I visit the gold and spice souk - only 15 minutes taxi ride away...so off I went.

As you drive around Dubai you get the feeling they should have a sign up saying "Under Construction" as it really is.
a mishmas of images stuck together to give you an idea of the panorama..
You get a feeling of a vast, wide spread city and it has a really culturally and nationality diverse feeling. There are people from all over the world co-existing really easily.

Anyway - I was dropped of at the souk and immediately attracted a shoal of hawkers who seemed to feel that I needed a fake rolex or similar. This reminded me of swimming off the coast of Mombasa where all the little fish crowd around you until they realise you have no food for them...then off they go.

I ambled around the souk trying to soak up the atmosphere but it really didn't have one...I was hoping for a frenetic mishmash of haggling and salesmanship but really it was just a dusty covered mall. The most interesting thing I found was a closed shop that had a stunning wood and brass door.
rope work
  Nevermind - I carried on to the spice souk and this was a bit different - there were a great many more shoppers but the most striking thing was the wonderful smell..they should bottle it up and sell it as a household deoderant..it was wonderful.

This opened out onto the Dhow Ancorage which was the thing I loved the most. Hundreds of wooden dhows anchored up unloading their wares. Cars, refrigerators, tomato sauce, toys, fabric and many anonymous boxes lined the wharf. The quayside was thronged with sailors and traders. They did not seem to mind the tourists snapping away and I managed to chat with a few of the traders who were taking a rest..they had come from India and were plying the region moving small loads for independant traders.

They would have shown me around their Dhow but it was tied up 3 dhows out and the others were unloading.
Dhows
They were really hospitable and invited me back later when it was less busy to show me around. I had to decline as I had work..but it did touch me.

I carried on along the quay and decided to take the long walk back to my hotel to get a feel for the place. Further up the quay are the pleasure boats of the rich and floating restaurants but these were really boring compared to the working dhows and the joyous workers there...hence most of the photos are from there.

I crossed the floating bridge and wandered along deserted open roads all the way back to the hotel..nothing of interest happend on the way back so this log ends here..hoping that Qatar may offera little more to see...but I shall never forget the friendly Indian sailors in Dubai.
Sunflower300 says:
From the photos I have seen of Dubai, it is the construction capital of the world, it has something like 15-25% of the worlds cranes. It is amazing the rate the city has grown over the last 15 years or so, it only had half a dozen high rises in 1990.
Enjoy Qatar.
Posted on: Feb 10, 2008
Dubai Evening Skyline
a mishmas of images stuck together…
a mishmas of images stuck togethe…
Working on a large Dhow