Prior to departure

Reading Travel Blog

I have not been on the road properly since November and I am a little anxious to get going. I should have been on the way already but had to pull the plug on visiting Kenya due to the riots there. My twin brother did go however and flew out this morning...bugger...we were going to have a few days on safari..hey ho there will be other times.

It has been a little anxious for me as my agent has taken some time to set up school visits in the Middle East but that does seem to be happening now...these visits are great. I work for a top UK university and I get to talk to students thinking of coming to the UK to do a degree. As my uni is a good one we are quite selective, as such I am able to be really honest and quite impartial in my advice and the kids I meet tend to appreciate that..it is also fun for me as I am not a salesman..rather an adviser. And so I will be going to schools in the following places: Dubai, UAE February 7,  - February 9,  Doha, Qatar February 10,  - February 11, Bahrain February 11, - February 12, Amman, Jordan February 12, - February 13, Dubai, UAE February 14, - February 18,

After this I will be heading off to Lagos, Abuja and Kano in Nigeria to take part in a series of Education fairs run by the British Embassy in Nigeria. These are always great fun, I went last year. Although I find some aspects of Nigeria trying (such as the bribery (dash) needed to get anything done) the people are always welcoming and kind. Despite the many problems in the region the Nigerians are always smiling and curious, looking to better themselves and their position...I approve of this and just wish there were not so many willing to cheat and take short cuts to get there..never mind, it should be fun.

I then get a two day break back in blighty (UK) to rest and recover before flying out to Hong Kong, again to visit schools and give talks to students before heading across the SAR border to Beijing, Wuhan, Shanghai and Guangzhou (finally popping back to Hong Kong) to meet with my agents and (hopefully) students in those places. I will be doing a small number of school visits to.

From Hong Kong I travel to Malaysia to participate in another series of Education Exhibitions in Kuala Lumpur, Kuchin and Kota Kinabalu before, afetr two months onthe road, I will head back to the UK to plan my next trip overseas...phew...looks like a lot to get in....but I am really looking forward to it and hope to keep a photo diary of the trip.

Safe and happy travel all.

Rob

easyjobrob says:
Hi Elke,

You are quite right...my mistake :)
Posted on: Jan 23, 2008
Sunflower300 says:
Phew, is right, I'm exhausted just reading about it. Although I'm confused... isn't Dubai in the UAE? Is there another?

I can't wait to see your photos Rob. Have a wonderful trip.

Elke