5 Islands in 7 Days Mar 23 08

San Juan Travel Blog

Yes!  Six Islands in Seven Days, and at a Bare Bones cost of $1500, including air to San Juan PR!

******  Actual cost $1625.00  updated Jan 27, 08   ********

Did I forget to say I got a Senior Rate !  Oh, and I also got the past cruiser discount, or so it indicated !

Airfare?????  Okay, a little research and time, and I found a round trip from Seattle to San Juan for only $554.00

Cruise price:      $819.00       Senior rate past cruiser discount.

Cruise gratuity   $ 70.00        Ten dollars per person per day.

Air fare               $554.00        Delta SkyMiles Member

Transfers            $ 40.00         Approximate cost RT airport to Cruise ship

Fuel Supp           $ 35.00          There is a $5.00 per day fuel charge

Total                   $1518.00      Bare cost not including tips or extras.

ITINERY:

5. Antiqua                   10:00am                 6:00pm
  6. St. Kitt                       8:00am                 6:00pm
  7. St. Maarten               7:00am                  5:00pm
  8. San Juan PR              7:00am

This is the best itinery I have seen yet.  It is only offered during March or at least as far as I have been able to assertain!

Interestingly, a second person cost only about $400.00, for the cruise, not including air fare (remember I have the senior discount)

The only down point of this cruise is it a cabin with under/over bunks rather than standard single beds.

At the double occupancy rate with a single the cabin price is $1198.00, and you are back to two singles of a Queen bed.

Well more later, as I review some of the Islands I will visit.  Hopefully I can find some pictures from my previous visits to the various islands>

Still open to a room mate or even a small group.  it is suprising just how cheap it is to add a second or third person,  and Cabin upgrades are a chinch................

Best to all:   Stanhoperay

Yes!  Five Islands in Seven Days, and at a Bare Bones cost of $1500, including air to San Juan PR!

Cruise price:      $819.00       Senior rate past cruiser discount.

Cruise gratuity   $ 70.00        Ten dollars per person per day.

Air fare               $554.00        Delta SkyMiles Member

Transfers            $ 40.00         Approximate cost RT airport to Cruise ship

Fuel Supp           $ 35.00          There is a $5.00 per day fuel charge

Total                   $1518.00      Bare cost not including tips or extras.

ITINERY:

6. St. Kitt                       8:00am                 6:00pm
  7. St. Maarten               7:00am                  5:00pm
  8. San Juan PR              7:00am

Best to all:   Stanhoperay

So you think Crusing cost a lot.  Try signing up for one of the frequent flyer cards before your next trip.  Book your Airlines with that card and you not only earn the miles for the trip, but also miles for the cost of the airline.  I recently booked a 19 day trip through the Panama Canal, with Skymilescruises. com, and earned 10,000 for the booking.  I then earned and additional 6,000 miles by paying for the trip with my Delta Skymiles card.  Since the trip begins in Seattle, and ends in Fort lauderdale, I and my travel mate will get millage back to Seattle.  Depending on your spending on the trip, and additional spending throught the year, you should have enough for a round trip ticket to teh Carribean, Central america, Hawaii, or most any place in the US.

OKAY,  So a 19 day Trans Canal did cost me a small fortune,  but there are othere great buys out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a look at this next entry!

Well the figures are in and as I said it's around $1500 + or - a few hundred !

Okay here it is:

Antigua

Basseterre

Philipsburg

San Juan

The total cost of the cruise , including taxes and port charges, pre-paid gratuities, and trip cancellation ins. came to $1175.47

The trip leaves San Juan on Easter Sunday at 10:00PM, and returns the following Sunday.  finding a sutible Airfair was a whole new story.  At first I had planned to use a Delta Skymiles Free Round trip, I had earned.  A quick check of the available travel dates, in and around my departure time, caused some concern.  To fly for free, I would have to use a Fare Saver flight! Okay let see what they are.  There were no coorisponding Fare saver flights that would put me into San Juan and then back to Seattle, with out spending extra days in Puerto Rico.  The first available flight into San Juan, was on March 11th, and the first flight back out was April 2nd.  Hmmmm!  That would sure blow my Ideah of an in-expensive trip, and cause all of you to question my travel advise!

Okay! Re-group!  lets take a look at a paid round trip fair.  At least I will earn some more Delta miles!  The first fares I looked at were for the closest connection flights to my Cruise departure and return.  Even as a Senior and Delta Skymiles card holder, the prices were over $700.00.  I then started to adjust my Seattle departure.  By moving my flight back several days, and thus allowing my self some time to explore San Juan, I dropped the cost to about $546.00.  Not bad, and even though I now have to find accomidation in or around San Juan, the price was looking better.  Next I adjusted my return flight, and came up with a fare or $436.80.  Leave Seattle on the 17th, return to Seattle on April 1st.  Still that left me with seven(7) plus days, and the associated cost.  A few more adjustments, and my final schedule was leaving Wedensday the 19th, and returning Tuesday April 1st.  Total air fare $446.80, and a gain of some 7700 of Skymiles.

Okay let just see what this all adds up to so far!

• Cruise + Ins              $ 1105.47
  • Gratuities                  $     75.00
  • Air fare                      $   446.80
  • Sub-tot                     $ 1627.27

Considering The time of the year, the Easter Holiday, and all else, not bad so far.  Now lets see what I can find for accomidations.  As you read in my recommendations for a place to staay, I will most likely stay a day or two in Darado, as well as impose on a friend or two, to tide me over.  I have five Days to cover, some of which I will have for fork out expenses for, and others that will be gratis.  I expect my daily cost to be no more than $100.00.  I know this seems low, but there is sutible transportation availible, and I have a few secerets that I am keeping to my self for the time being.

As most of you realize, the scenerio I have laid out is far from perfect.  Chances are that it will in all eventuality cost me more.  My whole purpose was to show just how it can be done on a budget.  What I actually do for my five days in San Juan.  You will just have to wait and read my reviews when I get back.

PS:  If all goes right, I will be bloging and posting pictures of each days adventures.  That is as long as I can stay within the Cingular phone network.  Just a quick note.  When traveling out of the country, pay close attention to the Network your phone or computer is accessing.  If you get off your own network, you will be charged at a minimum, roaming charges, and possibly more.  My experience a year ago, with a nice new computer, and fancy High Speed Cell card, were to chalk up some $300.00 in charges for three nights on the computer.  Places like San Juan, and St Maarten, were on Cingular, and free since I had an un-limited Data plan.  As I got farther South, I lost the Cingular Network and the Roaming charges roamed right in.  Remember if you plan to send pictures or messages home,  The ship does offer Internet connections, but they tend to be slow, and the cost is better spent else where.  If you have your own computer, ask some of the ships crew where they access wireless hot spots while in port, or where you might find an Internet Cafe in port.  Most of these Internet cafe's have computers that will allow you to insert your Digital media, and the cost if far far less than on board the ship...................................

Best to all!  Thanks for reading my Blog, and for all the feedback

SRK  (aak Stanley)