The Indians and Nanny Cay

Tortola Travel Blog

A view of the boat, motoring out of the Moorings

Today we woke up (on a boat, how strange!), got all our provisions settled in the main cabin, and got underway.  Time for our first sailing lesson!

First, though, I should introduce the other people with us.  Uncle Greg and Aunt Donna, Jesse's family who live in Folly Beach, SC brought their neighbors and good friends Ken and Virginia Grissom.  Since they figured they couldn't do all the sailing, they also invited us and Ken and Virginia's son Trey and his wife Jessica.  We had all met before the trip for a planning session, which turned out to be more like a social session.  :)

Anyway, Uncle Greg and Aunt Donna motored the boat out of the harbor into more open water so we could put up the sails.  On the way out, we passed a giant cruise ship - amazing to see it from so close on the water.

Me (and a huge cruise ship)

With Uncle Greg's instruction, we all pitched in and somehow managed to get all the sails right and started sailing for The Indians, which are big pinnacle rocks sticking out of the water that go down around 60ft or so, and are covered with coral.

I guess I never realized before that sailing takes so long!  We could see the Indians when we started sailing, but at around 5mph we didn't get there quickly!  It was fun sitting on deck watching them slowly come closer, though.  I was a little 'off' all day - not queasy, but my body was like, "Whoa, this is not normal!" so I sat up in front of the cockpit where the boat had the least motion for most of the trip.

Snorkeling at the Indians was amazing; the rocks go almost straight down to the bottom, and the water is so clear you can see the whole way down.
View back towards the Moorings
  Coral grows on the bottom and all up and down the rocks, and you can get as close as you want - no sections roped off or anything.  But we kept an eye out for fire coral!  I'm sure it would have been a great dive as well - in fact, we saw divers on the bottom.

One more shallow area had a section of coral that was like an arch, and we saw other people swimming under it, but they were touching the coral, and I was too afraid I would hurt thousands of years of growth!

My mask kept screwing up today, too - fogging, and hurting me after a while.  Since it was brand new for this trip, I figured it just needed adjusting later.  Oh, and also... since all our cameras were Canons and had almost the exact same waterproof case, we managed to switch ours with Trey and Jessica's today.

Our fearless leader, Uncle Greg
  So all our snorkeling pictures are courtesy of Trey for today.  :)

After snorkeling, we had lunch on the boat (sandwiches from our provisions) and set sail for Nanny Cay (pronounced Key) - almost directly back where we came from this morning!  Just one harbor over.  :)  We docked, and got to use the very nice showers - big tiled bathrooms with a shower.  They turned out to be the nicest we would see on the whole trip.

We ate dinner at a little restaurant on the island, which would have had a view out to sea except that it was already dark.

We continued the habit of hanging out on deck and talking before bed.  And then, another night on the boat.

A view of the boat, motoring out o…
A view of the boat, motoring out …
The Indians from a ways off