I have a fever and the only perscription is more cowbell!

Interlaken Travel Blog

My first look at Lauterbrunnen

Today was my first real day exploring the Berner Oberland region. The sun was out so that was a great start. I took a 20 minute train to Lauterbrunnen and walked around the town towards the (Trum) falls. It's an enclosed waterfall within the mountain. You get to it by taking a funicular halfway up and then walk through caves to see the rest of the falls. It's pretty neat but you get wet from the spray. I took a few pictures but they really don't do it justice. On the way there, I had past a few cows and heard my first ever authentic cowbell. YAY!

After that I continued onto another town where you can take a gondola up to Gimmelwald and Murren.

Inside the waterfall caves
Since I had read lots about Gimmelwald thanks to Rick Steves, I decided to check it out. I'm sure a lot of people like it, but to me it was just a few houses and not much more. I was there for about 20 minutes, long enough to check out the Mountain Hostel and its hot tub. It seemed like a bunch of 18 year olds running around in their bikinis and the hot tub was a lot smaller than I thought and not the place you'd want to hop into without knowing everyone else in it (or I guess you'd get to know them very quickly!).

So off I went on the 50 minute uphill trek to Murren. It was a very nice hike, with the road winding along a couple small farms with cows. The town is much bigger than Gimmelwald but smaller than Lauterbrunnen. It had a lot of chalet type buildings and homes, a few restaurants and souvenir shops. I was still feeling energetic so I figured I'd walk the 2 hour long hike down the mountain from Murren to Lauterbrunnen.

Part of the "|path|
Now I think I'm a pretty smart person, but sometimes I have really bad ideas, this being one of them. The sky had started to become quite cloudy and about 5 minutes into the walk (where I walked right past the train station that would have taken me down to Lauterbrunnen) it started to rain very lightly. I figured that was nothing and I'd continue on. About 15 minutes in, it was rainy pretty steadily but by this point I didn't want to walk back up the hill. Plus, the path way was paved and looked rather easy.

Then the pathway turned into a "path" ... also know as rocks, roots, leaves and mud.

On I walked for 1 hour and 40 minutes. I kept thinking that there's no way there's bears in Switzerland and just in case I decided to sing along with my ipod. It's a good thing I didn't meet a single person on the trek since they would have thought I was crazy and my singing must have been bad since it kept all the bears and any other wildlife away! :)

After what seemed like FOREVER and after pledging that I would never hike down a wet, slippery mountain by myself again, I made it to Lauterbrunnen.

The sign that means I'm not lost! YAY!
As a reward for my bravery, I bought myself my very own Swiss Army knife. I didn't realize this before, but there are tons of different kinds. I went with a very fitting one: knife, corkscrew and bottle opener. It might not help me if I'm stuck in the woods with nothing else, but it will if I'm stuck in the woods alone and I need to open a bottle of wine :)

I switched hostels from Funny Farm to Balmers today and I'm glad I did. This place has a kitchen and has a much better atmosphere. I cooked my own supper (such a treat) and watched the Italy vs. Netherlands soccer game with a bunch of fun people. I met a guy from California that's going to do a hike with me tomorrow so I won't be going alone. He said he wanted to do a 7 hour hike but then when I told him what the elevation gains are like, he said he'd go for something shorter haha

So all in all, today was good. I got a good hike in, saw some cows with cowbells and didn't kill myself on the hike down the mountain!

Part of the |path|
Part of the "|path|
The sign that means Im not lost! …
The sign that means I'm not lost!…
one of the signs for the many wate…
one of the signs for the many wat…
Interlaken