Short Stopover

Zagreb Travel Blog

The train ride from Vienna to Zagreb was interesting ... well not so much as completely f-ing hot! There were six of us in a six seat caban with the dialed turned to "as cold as possible" which didn't seem to do much of anything. Eventually some people left and then for the last couple hours it was just me and two other people. Once the sun set, the temperature became a bit bareable. All in all, it was the hottest train ride EVER!

Once we arrived at the Croaitian border, armed police officers came on board to check passports. I knew I had nothing to worry about, but those guys made me nervous! haha I now have my first stamp in my passport from this trip. When we got closer to Zagreb, a train worker came by to check tickets and told me we were running late and "good luck" making my connection. That wasn't the best feeling in the world! For the next 20 minutes, I was thinking about what I was going to do, stuck overnight in Zagreb. Luckily, they were holding the train for the passengers transferring from my train. Phew!

Once I boarded the night train, I met my room mate for the night. A cute, old German lady that was travelling to Croatia for her 40th anniversary. Since the couchettes are female or male only, her husband was in another one on the train.

The only reason I did a night train through Croatia is due to a lack of other options. Had I been able to fly for less than 400 euros, I definitely would have! I don't think air conditioning has made it to the Croatian train company. Our two options were 1. leave the window up and block out some noise but then melt to death 2. Put the window down but not be able to sleep due to the extremely loud train.

I went for option 2, since no sleep would be much better than almost certain death!

photo by: EmEm