The First Taste of Greece!

Athens Travel Blog

I arrived in Athens late in the afternoon, found my hostel where Jason was waiting for me. It was awesome to see a familiar face after three weeks!

We went for a walk through the Acropolis, which was pretty cool looking but mostly covered by scaffolding for restoration. The view of the city from the top of the hill was incredible. We then went for something to eat in an outdoor restaurant. While we were eating these guys with a blanket full of knock off stuff (sunglasses, bags, etc) came running through the streets, tipped off that the cops were coming. There were about eight of them and they ran into people, knocked over tables and made a huge mess. The cops showed up a minute later to angry store owners, mad because their property was destroyed, all yelling in Greek (which I don't understand one word of).

It was pretty crazy to see these guys running off like that!

The hostel we were staying at was called Athens Backpackers and had a rooftop bar with happy hour. We ended up meeting a bunch of people who we drank with and then headed into Plaka for supper. Plaka is the area in Athens with a lot of outdoor restaurants and shops. It's a really neat area of the city. I felt kinda bad for the rest of the people already at the restaurant when 10 kinda drunk 20 somethings showed up haha

I already love Greek food .. I tried moussaka, which is like lasagna but slightly different because it doesn't have pasta, just eggplant (I think) instead. We also bought some Ouzo, which takes like black licorice! Yummy!

view of one part of Athens